Chapter 52

Leah POV

I dreamed of something different that night. Instead of the usual dizzying slideshow of horrors, I saw a much more welcome face. My boyfriend. After all this confusion and anger and scary times, I could finally call him mine. I sat next to him with pride at dinner last night. And the night before that, and the night before that. Months had gone by, and everything was incredible.

Vlado is probably the greatest man I could ever be with. He understands me more than I understand myself, he's always comforting me. I feel so safe around him, which feels strange considering he's in the mafia. But all this time with him has only made realise how much better things would have been if I had just taken a breath and tell him everything. Maybe then he would have done the same.

So lately, I've been opening up more. Mary already knew practically everything, but not the others. I've been careful with what I share, what with Amelia and Rowan not being so loyal, but everyone knows me and my past better now.

I was talking to Clarke when Vlado walked into the room and wrapped his arms around my waist. I felt his breath against my neck and a gentle press of his lips. "Sono così orgoglioso di te, amore mio." He whispered, and my cheeks flushed.

I am so proud of you, my love.

When the others mentioned my stories, Vlado had made a habit of doing this. Whether it be in private or public, he always makes sure to remind me. I'm not sure if he even knows he's the reason I have the courage to talk about Lucas.

Clarke was gone, leaving the two of us in the hallway. I lay my hands on top of Vlado's and leaned my head back to rest on his chest. I don't think I'll ever be able to find the words to express how grateful I am for this man.

"Will you sit in my office with me?" He asked, resting his head against my shoulder. "I have some work to do, and I'd like you to be with me."

I smiled. "Sure." He took my hand and we walked to his office. For the rest of the day, I sat in Vlado's office with him. We spoke about everything and more. When it finally turned dark, we joined everyone for dinner before getting ready for bed. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth when I looked up at the mirror. I looked completely different than when I first came to Italy. There were no bruises or cuts, there were no bags under my eyes. I looked happier than I had ever been.

Vlado walked into the bathroom, catching my gaze in the mirror. He smiled, his eyes never leaving mine as he made his way over to me and hugging me from behind, his fingers tingling my waist. He stared at me as though he was in awe, like he couldn't believe I was in his arms.

I spat out the toothpaste and rinsed my mouth before staring back up at him with a smile. "Hi."

"Hi, mio caro." He peppered kisses against my bare shoulder. "Are you almost ready to sleep?"

My dear.

"Almost." I reached for my moisturiser, but froze as a question came to mind. "Vlado?"

"Si, amore mio?"

I swallowed thickly, unsure if this was going to come across the way I intended. "Do you think we'll ever see him again?"

His entire body tensed against mine, his head slowly rising for his eyes to meet mine. "Do you want to?" He struggled to get the words out gently, and the intensity in his eyes weren't helping either. When my only response was silence, he raised his head until his lips were level with my ear. His eyes never tore away from mine as he spoke.

"Mio caro, I would throw myself into flames before I let that man lay his eyes on you."

Vlado pressed a final kiss to my head, combing a tattooed hand through my hair before he went back to the bedroom.

Lucas, much like Vlado, was a determined man. That's what scared me. I didn't know who would be willing to sacrifice more. And I never wanted to see Vlado with a gun in his hands.

When I climbed under the covers, Vlado was turned away and made no move to get closer. My mind ran dizzy with thoughts. "I didn't mean it that way."

His shoulders heaved with a sigh. "I know."

"When you catch him," I spoke carefully. "Will you let me see him one last time?"

He looked at me briefly from over his shoulder. "No."

"But–"

"I will never let you even be in the same house as him."

"Vlado, please listen." I sighed. "I have some things to tell him before..."

Finally, he rolled around, pinning me with a harsh glare. "Such as?"

"It sounds stupid, considering everything he's put us through, but I need closure." I looked down at my hands. "I just need to talk to him."

The silence was deafening, and I could feel the Vlado's eyes on me. Eventually, he sighed and grabbed my hands softly. "I was hoping you would want to never see him again."

I meet his gaze. "What do you mean?"

He looked away, ashamed. Scared.

Guilty.

"Vlado." His eyes flew to mine.

"What did you do?"