Chapter Two

Coming out of his trance, Lucas rushed towards the main door, but she was already gone. "Damn," he swore. Was she scared of him? She ran away without finishing her cleaning. He pondered over whether to call Sarah and summon Violet again. Then he decided to just leave it and take it easy. He would go down and seek her out after her nerves calmed down. 

But what about his nerves? They were anything but calm. Why was his heart beating so fast? Was he already in love with her? How was that possible? He just had a single encounter with her. 

Violet raced to Sarah's office with her heart hammering in her chest. She knocked and entered. "Ma'am, please, I'm sorry. I don't want to lose this job. I need it," she said, standing in front of Sarah, as a few teardrops fell from her eyes. 

"What's up, Violet? Didn't you complete your work in the penthouse?" she asked, trying to grasp what she was saying.

"I didn't know Mr. Parker was there. I was cleaning and accidentally bumped into him. I may have inconvenienced him. I'm sorry," she said, in a panicked tone. 

Sarah smiled inwardly. So Lucas met her after all. "Did he threaten you?" she asked the scared girl.

"No, he didn't say anything, " Violet said. 

"Then what did he do?" asked Sarah with interest. 

"He just, I mean, nothing," Violet stammered as her cheeks flushed red. 

Sarah chuckled. "Interesting," she mumbled and Violet colored more. "Don't worry, I'll have a word with him." 

"Thank you, ma'am, " said Violet and left the room. 

She got busy with cleaning the rest of the suites. It was lunch time and since she didn't have any money to buy anything for herself, she went to the housekeeping room to drink water to fill her rumbling tummy. 

"You didn't complete cleaning my penthouse today?" said a husky male voice from just behind her. His hot breath fanned her neck as she stood with her bottle of water. 

She whirled around and came nose to nose with Lucas Parker himself. Her eyes opened wide as she gaped at him and opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish. No words came out and she was dumbstruck. 

He took the bottle from her hands and placed it down. Violet came to her senses and lowered her eyes to her feet. She stepped backward from him, putting enough distance between themselves. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll do it just now," she said, going to get a cleaning station. 

"You can finish your lunch first," he said,  his eyes not leaving her face. He could see that she was tired already. His heart ached for her. She needed a break from so much work. 

"It's okay, sir. I'll clean first," she said, hurrying out of the housekeeping room to the elevators. She went inside and was about to press the button when Lucas came into the elevator with her. 

"I actually wanted to thank you for cleaning my apartment so well every day," he started and she just nodded. He wanted to say so much more but she just didn't reciprocate. He wanted to give her some gifts as a token of his appreciation but knew that she wouldn't accept them. 

"It's my job, sir," she said, still looking at her feet. Lucas felt frustrated. He wanted to drown in her hazel eyes, yet she wouldn't look up at him. Other women would have been ready to jump into bed with him and here she was, scared and running away from him. It made his heart beat more fiercely for her. Why couldn't she see that he was interested in her?

They went up to his penthouse and she immediately set off to his bedroom to clean and he followed her there. Violet was confused as to why he was following her around. Maybe he wanted to check her work. She set about cleaning his bed first as he stood at the door leaning against it and watching her. Feeling oddly disturbed at his scrutiny, she somehow managed to change the sheets and pillowcases. She arranged the cushions and dusted the furniture as he watched her. Didn't he have any work today? 

She sprayed the floral room freshener and was about to go to his en-suite when suddenly she felt him behind her. "What did you spray?" he asked coming up behind her as his arm went around her and took the air freshener from her hand. 

"Air freshener, sir. I love violets, so I chose this for your apartment. I can change to roses or any other fragrance, " she said hurriedly. Her arm erupted into goosebumps when his arm brushed hers to get the room freshener. 

"I love Violet," he said, his piercing eyes staring at her, holding her gaze. She blushed but couldn't look away from his blue magnetic eyes.  She noticed that he didn't mention " violets" and felt more embarrassed. Was he flirting with her? She was unsure having never experienced such things in her life. She went to an all-girls school and never went to college. 

"I think I should complete the work, " she said, looking down at her feet and moving towards the ensuite.

"I think I want to have lunch now. Please could you warm the food? It's in the kitchen," he said and she nodded her head and walked out of the room, glad to escape him. But he still followed her to the kitchen. Lucas had become a lost puppy around her. Did love at first sight truly happen? It happened to him and was confused. 

She washed her hands and warmed the food in the microwave. Lucas came up behind her. "I want you to have lunch with me, " he stated. 

"No, thank you, sir. You enjoy your lunch. I'll complete my cleaning, " she said, serving him on a plate. 

"I'm your employer.  Shouldn't you listen to me?" he asked, feeling frustrated that she was so stubborn. 

She looked up at him to see if he was serious. Why was he sharing his lunch with her? The food looked delicious and she was ravenous after working so hard since morning. It was just a simple lunch invitation, no harm in that?

"Don't worry I won't eat you up unless you want me to," he said, getting a plate from the cabinet above her head. His arm brushed her cheek and she trembled at the electric jolt that ran down her body at his touch. 

She blushed at his implications. "Here, your food is served sir," she said, handing him his plate. 

He kept the empty plate down and took his food from her hands. "Now serve yourself or else I'll punish you," he said, looking at her. 

She smiled and it made her look so young and gorgeous. "You should smile more Violet, " he said and she smiled more as she served herself too. 

He led her to the dining table and they ate in silence. She could feel his hot gaze upon her as he ate his food. "So, tell me about yourself, Violet, " he asked her, not removing his gaze from her.

"There's nothing to tell. I'm boring, " she informed him, enjoying her food. It was the best meal of her life.

"Let me decide that. You sing beautifully.  Were you singing for your boyfriend or for someone else you love?" He asked curiously. 

"You heard? Oh no, I don't have a boyfriend, and neither do I love anyone. It's just my favorite song," she informed with a laugh. 

"I'm glad," Lucas couldn't help but comment.

Violet colored at his comment but continued to eat. 

"So why don't you go to college?" he asked.

"I would have if my mom was alive. She died last year and I have two younger brothers to take care of," she replied. 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know," he said, feeling bad for her. The more he came to know her the more he fell in love with her.

They finished eating and Violet cleaned up everything. "I need to finish my cleaning.  Thank you for the lunch, sir," she said. 

"Lucas," he prompted. 

"What sir?" she asked, not knowing whether she heard correctly. 

"Call me Lucas.  And be here tomorrow at 8 in the morning, else you will be punished," he said and she nodded. Lucas left the penthouse with a smile on his lips. 

He would meet her again tomorrow. In a month, he would completely make her fall in love with him just like he had fallen for her.