Chapter Seventeen

The next morning, the three of them sat at the small table near the kitchen. 

"We can all go to the departmental store to work, Violet. Don't lose hope," said Walter. They could see that Violet had completely lost confidence in herself. 

"No, I will go to the departmental store and search for work. If I get work, I will enroll you both in your old school next week, " she said, looking down at her hands with guilt. She should have been firm in her decisions and avoided Lucas and his charming ways. How could she forget her position? Now, one false step had her family in such a situation. 

The twins nodded wordlessly. They didn't want to argue and add to her worries. She gave them their old breakfast of milk and bread and went out to the departmental store in the neighborhood in search of work. 

"We need salespeople to guide and handle customers. Can you do it?" asked the strict manager in charge, James Howard.

"Yes sir, I can," she said confidently. 

"Look,  you don't have the required qualifications or experience but we will hire you since your mother used to work here. But your initial pay will be less than what we pay our salespeople. Once you prove to us your worth in the first three months, we will increase your pay. Are you willing to join?" he asked her.

"Yes, sir. When do I start?" 

"Tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock, " he said and she thanked him and left. The pay was the same as what she was getting at Parker Suites. She was satisfied that after three months they would increase her pay. 

She returned home and smiled at the twins and told them the good news. They hugged her and all three of them discreetly wiped their own tears. Violet tried to keep herself busy to avoid all thoughts of Lucas out of her head. It was an impossible task though as all her heart and mind did was miss him. In everything she did, images of Lucas flashed across her mind, his smile,  his touch, his kisses, the way he looked at her, the way he spoke to her, everything. 

She ran to her bedroom every now and then, composed herself, and tried to control the tears that spilled out every time. The day went by slowly and she just couldn't wait for it to get over. She was eager to join work tomorrow. At least it would keep her busy and she could just drown herself in work. Thankfully the day came to an end and she dragged herself to bed. 

The next morning, she made breakfast and served the twins. She made lunch for them to eat when she was away. "Don't open the door to anyone. Stay inside and do whatever you want. Here's Mom's old phone. If you want you can call me anytime you want on my mobile phone." Violet knew it was risky to leave her young siblings alone at home but what choice did she have?

The boys nodded. "Don't worry, Violet. We're big boys. We will study and stay at home, " assured William. 

Violet left for work. The whole day she was busy with different types of customers and dealt with different situations. She didn't get time to relax even for a minute. She worked four hours of overtime for the extra pay. The manager was very happy with her. She came home, tired and haggard. The twins made sandwiches for all three of them. They had it for dinner and went to bed. 

Violet went to work for the next two days. She had the overtime pay paid to her daily. With money in her hands,  she decided to enroll the twins in their old school on Monday. It was Friday already and she had a leave the next day. She worked five hours of overtime and left the store happily with the extra money. 

Going towards her apartment, she thought of cooking something better for the twins tonight. A commotion nearby made her look up. A huge group of local people had gathered around a luxurious black sleek Cadillac Escalade parked right opposite her apartment door. A uniformed chauffeur was leaning against it. 

Whose car was that? Lucas didn't possess a Cadillac. Neither did he have a chauffeur. He preferred to drive himself. But if not Lucas, then who could it be? She approached her main door and looked up. Everyone was peering at the car from their balconies and windows, chatting animatedly with one another, creating a ruckus around.

"Excuse me. Are you Violet Nelson?" asked a male voice from behind her. She whirled around and saw a young man, a year or two older than her, wearing a pair of jeans and a branded sports tee shirt standing behind her. He smelled of expensive perfume and cologne. His branded expensive sunglasses were casually dangling from his pocket. 

"Yes, how do you know me?" she asked in disbelief. The man grinned at her heaving a sigh of relief. He looked back at the car and gestured with his hands. The door opened and a beautiful brunette, with long silky hair and brilliant blue dazzling eyes, came out. She wore a pair of black jeans and a red tee shirt. She grinned at her too.

"Did you find her?" she asked the man with a smile of relief. 

Violet looked from one to the other. Who were they? They looked familiar. How did they know her when she didn't? The woman looked at her and smiled with relief.

"I'm Serenity Parker, Lucas's younger sister and this is Liam, our youngest sibling," she introduced. Violet stared at her with her jaws dropped to the floor. What were Lucas's siblings doing here? Did they come to insult her just like his fiancée did? She looked at them with wide eyes filled with apprehension.

"Sera, you're scaring her. Hi, you look too young to be with bro. Are you an adult?" asked Liam, looking at  Violet with mischief as Serenity punched his arm. 

Violet blushed at his question. "I'm nineteen, for your information," she answered, rolling her eyes.

"Aww. Now I've found someone younger than myself. We can all pull her legs,  Sera," he said and received another punch. Violet couldn't help the little smile that escaped her at the antics of this goofy duo. Surely they couldn't harm her, could they?

"Shut up, " said Serenity. "Violet, don't mind him. He's dumb. Look, we need to talk. Can we go up to your apartment?" she asked and Liam glared at his sister.  Big sisters were such a bully.

"Sure, come this way," said Violet, leading up to her apartment. She opened the door and led them inside. Walter and William came rushing out of their rooms to see who came into their humble home. They all sat down. 

"These are my brothers, Walter and William," she said. "Boys, this is Lucas's sister, Serenity, and his brother, Liam," she introduced. 

"Hi," the boys chorused and Serenity waved at them and Liam shook hands with them. 

"What did you want to talk about?" asked Violet apprehensively. 

"All of you need to pack up and come with us to Las Vegas, " said Serenity with a lot of seriousness, making their jaws drop with surprise.

"Why should we?" asked Violet in confusion. 

"Because mom wants you to. She has sent us to fetch you," said Liam, trying to make her see sense but Violet was more confused than ever. Why would Lucas's mom want her? Did Leilani complain about her? Her heart constricted with panic and she looked away from their probing gaze. She really didn't have the courage to face his mom after facing his fiancée.

"Why?" she whispered in a scared voice. "What have I done?" 

"You have committed a crime," said Liam with a serious face. Serenity smacked him in his arms. Violet looked at both of them with a scared expression. She couldn't think of any crime that she'd committed.

"I swear upon God I haven't done a thing. Please leave us alone," she said in a panic-stricken tone.