Chapter 3 ☆ Meeting of the Knights

y/n

"Are you ready for today's meeting?" asks Zoe, my best friend since I came to Mondstadt.

Yesterday a meeting of the Knights was announced and addressed to us, the Candidates. The announcement came a bit short notice, since the meeting will be held today at 12:00 at noon at the Headquarters. The only other time I went there without having business at the library was to submit my application form.

"I was born ready," I answer confidently.

"I thought you'd say that," she laughs. "But really, who knows what it's all about... What do they want to tell us? You already know that the Try-outs won't be easy..."

"Please don't remind me. I don't want to think about it."

"What happened to y/n who fears nothing?"

"She ran off with the books for Lisa. And please stop calling me by my real name in public."

"Weren't you the one who said that that happened three days ago and it doesn't matter anymore?" she asks, seemingly ignoring what I said about my name.

"Maybe only if three years passed."

"y/... Cassie, you're too stressed. Calm down, you've been training for the Try-outs for years. You'll pass with flying colours."

"I hope."

"You'll see. And now... speaking of Lisa..."

I frown immediately, regretting a little that I told her.

She laughed out loud when I told her what happened, especially when I brought up that jerk.

"I don't blame you for getting a little scared. I know how scary she can be when you return them late. She once came to my house after I forgot to bring a book on time and, well, what happened that day doesn't need to be mentioned."

"Was it that awful?"

"Oh, you should have seen it. The sky suddenly darkened and it started pouring over the house, but only over our house! And just when I thought it was going to start lightning..."

"Okay, now I think you're exaggerating."

"I'm not exaggerating," she says sulkily, "it's true."

"Okay Zoe, whatever you say."

She rolls her eyes and leans back. I wonder how much longer it will take before we get our food? We've been here for a while and it's not like there are other people at the restaurant.

We're at the only restaurant in town, the Good Hunter, which serves all kinds of meat and steak dishes. Zoe and I only eat here when we need to talk about something, and that's because it's always easier to meet in the middle of town, in the open air, than in either of our rooms. Not to mention that it's located near the other shops.

Marjorie's shop is a little further down the boulevard, and there's a terrace across the road. A really cute half-cat girl works there, or rather she's cute only if she likes you and you're not Diluc, the owner of the tavern across town. A little further up the boulevard there's an alchemy stall run by an apprentice who helps you make lots of useful things if you're interested. Then you can see the fountain that is said to grant your wishes if you throw mora into the water. Not that I believe that.

"Either way," she says as she straightens up in her chair. "What do you think will happen at the meeting?"

"What do I think will happen...? They'll probably wish us luck at the Try-outs and briefly outline what each exam consists of, and then we'll have to decide which days to train and stuff."