Chapter 18 ☆ Windblume Festival

Scaramouche

"Are you out of your mind?!" asks Tartaglia in a panic, just as Cassie falls down the stairs, unconscious.

"Why the hell are you looking at me like that? I didn't do anything wrong. And it's not like it's the first time I've done it either."

"You played with her brain. What do you mean it's not wrong?"

"I repeat, why the hell are you looking at me like that? I never screw up. Now will you help me carry her into the house?"

"If anything happens to her, your cover's blown."

"Nothing will happen to her," I reply sharply. "I know what I'm doing. Unlike..."

"Yeah, I know, unlike me. But it doesn't mean that..."

"Give me a break. Just help me!"

"Oh, a midget like you doesn't have enough strength to..."

I frown, and he immediately shuts up. Sometimes he's a little conflictual, but I set him straight every time. It's not for nothing that I'm ranked sixth and he's ranked last. He should remember that every time he opens his mouth.

He helps me get Cassie into the house and onto the bed.

I've done this before, so I know what's going to happen from here. Once she wakes up, she won't remember anything from the last few minutes. What can I say, a little play with the electromagnetic waves in her brain doesn't hurt, at least not in a situation like this. But the procedure is also very dangerous. If I overuse this ability on someone, it would destroy their brain and they'd never be the same.

I'm surprised to discover that I don't like that thought when it comes to her.

"What are you going to do after she wakes up?"

"I'm going to lie, obviously. And you won't help me because you'll be long gone."

"You want to get rid of me that fast?"

"It's not like I wanted to see you. I'd sooner talk to Signora than to you."

La Signora is the eighth Harbinger of the Fatui. I get along with that woman about as well as I get along with Tartaglia, and that's not a compliment at all. I loathe her. That fool is so vindictive that she went above and beyond with all our superiors to choose her over me when I was offered the assignment. As much as I hate this place, letting her take over my mission is something I hate even more. Not to mention I also heard a pretty interesting story about her and why she wants revenge on this place. Or rather on a certain person, an Archon.

She's crazy.

"I'm sure the feeling is mutual. She seems very fond of you."

"You're starting to get on my nerves."

"I've only just started doing that? I thought I'd been doing it for a while. And you know, you're really cute when you're angry."

I can feel a vein bursting on my forehead.

"Then I'm gonna get fucking adorable."

I clench my hand into a fist, and Tartaglia's eyes get wide as I gather electricity in it. He also knows that I'm not afraid to hit him, not even with the power of ten thousand volts, and the impact will be very fun, especially since his vision is Hydro.

He can't defend himself.

"You'll blow up the whole house if you do that. Let's have an amicable discussion."