Chapter 19 ☆ The boy with the Anemo vision and the secret of Scaramouche

y/n

I got the Dendro vision while thinking about how I should infiltrate the factory. Ever since I discovered its location I had been thinking about it, but I had no hope that it would even work. I took a lot of notes, squeezed my brain every minute of the day, did a lot of research, spied on the entrance of the factory, and trained with the visions I received day and night to be prepared for anything that might come my way. Within a year I was able to wield my received powers to perfection. At that point I was sure that no one could ever mess with me as long as I had the visions at my disposal, not that I wanted to kill anyone if I had a choice.

I don't know what it was about the plan I had thought of that got me the seventh and final vision, but I'm glad it happened. I also don't know why I'm the only one holding all seven, but I haven't tried to figure out what might be causing it either. A lot of people may not agree with me, but I think sometimes it's better to know nothing than to be aware of the truth.

The beginning of my plan was quite simple: I was going to pose as one of the guards. Naturally, I didn't have one of their uniforms, so I had to get one. At the entrance there are usually two guards who are not in sight of each other while changing shifts. The guard going off duty and the one who has to take their place meet on the way and talk for a while, then say goodbye to each other. I was to assault the guard who was to take over the post and take their uniform, hide them somewhere and head to the post in their place, after which the waiting game would begin.

Some of you may now be wondering why I didn't assault the departing one instead? Because it was too risky. There was a much better chance of getting caught. I had to wait for a time when most of the soldiers, recruits and agents were gone, and the other guard's shift was the time I needed. There was also to be a meeting that evening, at which some of the Harbingers and their soldiers were to attend. Unfortunately I was unable to find out their names, but the soldiers I was looking for were among the troops of one of them.

The next phase of the plan was to come after I entered the factory, but that's a story for another time.

Scaramouche offered to walk me home, much to my surprise, as I never would have thought he was the type to do that. I finally agreed, although he said he wasn't feeling well — which alarmed me a little — he didn't know where I lived and, although I wanted to stay longer, I knew he was right: there was no point in staying alone. His mind seemed to be elsewhere the whole way and I couldn't decide if I would do the right thing by asking him if I could help him with anything or if it was better not to pester him. In the end I didn't say anything to him and he didn't say a word to me either, we just walked.

The day was very nice: we danced, told each other poems, listened to wonderful music, ate tasty food, walked, painted and talked. I wish we could come back next year, but something tells me that won't happen and I try not to get my hopes up.

When he brought me home, Scaramouche said goodbye to me and I watched him from the house as he walked away. However, something had caught my attention: the fact that he hadn't gone in the direction of his house, but down the road from where we had come. Does he know a shortcut that I don't? I tried to remember where else that road led, and that's how I realised that he would have nowhere to go but back to the cathedral.

What is he thinking? Why does he go back there when he's not feeling well?

I took off my shoes and put on my usual boots before setting off after him.

"Hey! I saw you earlier in the crowd", says that bard we saw earlier.

I hide behind a column and hope I can't be seen. I followed Scaramouche all the way here, hiding behind houses, stalls and sometimes trash cans, careful not to be seen by anyone. I've always been good at hiding, sometimes even out in the open, though I'm pretty sure that tactic won't work in this case, given the interesting way I'm dressed: in a dress and boots.