Chapter 10 ☆ Springvale

y/n

It happened again when I turned twelve. That day, the camp I had set up with the other rebel fugitives had been discovered by some shogunates on patrol. The reason I had joined the group for was my fear of the decree. The Persecution was one of the worst things that could happen, because once your vision was stolen, you lost your memories and you would never be the same or you could die.

Our camp was a wreck when I got back from patrol. I had run to alert my comrades, but it was far too late to save any of our supplies. On the bright side, though, none of us had died and none of us had lost our vision in the altercation. But not everyone had escaped without being hurt. One girl in the group had a very serious arrow wound. People feared for her, they all tried to reassure her, but somehow they knew there was nothing else they could do for her.

The temporary shelter we found had been a well-hidden cave in the mountains. The group was all around her, trying to help her, but the girl said nothing, though the expression on her face told us more than words could. I immediately felt sorry for her, but I couldn't help her either. Even if I had used one of my visions in that moment I still wouldn't have had the skills to heal her. At that moment I didn't need any attack force or shields made of earth, but something that could heal a wound like hers, so all I did was stand by her side.

Someone, at some point, said that the wound could only be healed by a miracle, but we all knew that miracles never happen. Such a serious wound could never be treated with ordinary vision skills. Still, I prayed for her. I prayed for that miracle to happen, even though the odds were against us. I couldn't bear for someone to die without having really tried to do something for that person. I prayed so hard that probably everyone around me was shocked at the way I was acting, but I didn't care.

And just then it happened. I looked up when I saw the blue light under my eyelids. I reached out and felt something cold fall on my skin, then I heard words I'll never forget: "To be yourself and be afraid, whether you're right or wrong, is far more admirable than the simple cowardice of capitulating to conformity."

I knew immediately what I had to do. The wound healed with the help of my newly obtained vision. But it wasn't that surprise that was the biggest, it was the fact that now even those people knew I had more than a vision. They kept my secret, for which I was more than grateful. I know it was a burden to them that I was there, but they never made me feel that way, nor did they ever talk about it behind my back.

This time I got the notice from the Knights straight at home. At first I thought it was a bad joke, since the notice had come on short notice again, but when I saw the original Academy stamp on the letter I changed my mind. They were calling us to the Headquarters again, but even this time they haven't told us why we have to gather there. Maybe it's something to do with the Try-outs, they're only three weeks or so away and this break would mean one less day of training, at least for me.

I wonder why they are so keen on giving us short notice on everything? The time in which we can prepare to leave is very short. Theoretically I should have already left. I read the note a couple of times before walking out the door. It's good to always be prepared.

Zoe and Scaramouche are already at the Headquarters, which surprises me. They're both standing close to each other, but they're both looking the other way. Did something happen between them? I feel like nothing is going the way it should, not to mention that I slept more than usual today. I never made it to the restaurant to have breakfast with Zoe. It was almost 09:00 when I looked at my watch, which is not like me. I'm getting hungry.