Nineteen - Part One

It was the barking of a dog that woke me up.

I blinked at the ceiling and wondered how early it was since the sun had started streaming through my balcony.

Stretching my hand I found my glasses where I dumped them the night before.

I didn't get a chance to check the time when my door opened and my brother popped his head in.

“Hey, your puppy is going nuts downstairs. Come and shut him up, ewu.”

“What have I said about opening my door uninvited, Obinna? And you are the goat,” I tossed him one of my pillows but it hit an empty door.

“Mummy said you should come downstairs before she shoots the dog,” were his last words as he descended the stairs.

I groaned.

I was barely twenty-four hours home and already my family was making me wish I had just stayed alone in school.

We'd vacated immediately after the InterHouse sports and I couldn't help but feel like that was the fastest five weeks in school history. It was like I blinked and exams were over.

I looked around my room — at the boxes strewn before the bed and the empty closet I was yet to fill with my clothes — and my eyes landed on the black and white pack with the school's logo that laid abandoned beside my French doors.

It was Daniel's and it brought back the last conversation we had.

It was the last day of exams and I was done supervising dinner when he cornered me in the Cafeteria fully dressed in his yellow hoodie jacket, black jeans and a charming smile. He carried a duffle bag with him.

“Where are you headed?” I had asked, pausing in the act of turning off the last light.

His only reply was dropping his bag and hugging me. I hadn't complained because I was starting to look forward to his hugs.

“I have to go now,” he'd murmured into my neck.

Confused I pulled out and stared up at him. “Go? School doesn't officially close until the day after tomorrow.”

“I know,” he shrugged. “But Father wouldn't have the chance to come get me then. It's tonight or I have to spend an extra four days here and as much as I love the idea of not seeing him, I can't stay here without you.”

I had been sad when I asked, “I guess that's fine, but I could come visiting right?”

He ran a hand through his bountiful curls. “Actually, I don't think that'd be a good idea. Father is strict about visitors and honestly, I don't want you to meet him. Plus, I'm not even sure I know my address.”

“So what, I won't be able to see you for another two weeks? That's bullshit.”

He shrugged and grabbed me by the shoulder. “I know, I hate it too. But it's just the way it has to be.”

“Aww, you won't even be able to watch me get the gold medal in track,” I had pushed out my bottom lip and I was glad because Daniel released a vibrant laugh that turned my stomach into a warm pool of mush.

“I'm sure you're going to kick ass.”

That was the last thing he said to me before giving me one final kiss.

After the InterHouse sports and without being able to get a hold of him, Principal Obi handed me Daniel's end-of-semester pack and tasked me with getting it to him.

Which was one hell of a job because I didn't have a way to reach him or his address.

With a sigh, I pulled off the duvet and slid into a pair of fuzzy slippers.