Twenty-Three

Being home in the middle of the term felt weird, like walking in on your grandparents' make-out session.

My room looked totally different to me and I wondered what I would do throughout my punishment.

I opened my binder to the last page and stared at my master plan. I read the words twice before I ripped the page out.

In a fit provoked by the unfairness and injustice meted out to me, I tore the page into a million tiny pieces.

It was where I was seated in the mess of paper and broken dreams, sobbing silently that my mother found me.

She had entered my room and stood mute by the door. I slowed down my sobs and looked up at her. We stared at each other for a while before she adjusted her multicoloured robe and spoke.

“Come downstairs, your father would like a word with you.” She left immediately.

I checked the time. 8:05 am.

I was surprised that she hadn't left for work already seeing as it was a Wednesday.

I was reluctant to go downstairs. I had had enough of the nasty words and scathing glares from my mother yesterday and learning that my father was around wasn't helping.

Eventually, I made my way to the dining room. It was where my parents had serious talks with us and sure enough, they were already seated.

My father was seated at the head of the stunning crystal dinner table and my mother was at his left. They were both whispering intently, no doubt about me.

“Good morning, mummy. Good morning, daddy,” I greeted causing their attention to shift.

“What is good about this morning, ehn? Tell me.” My mother inquired, her hair was in rollers and she looked kinda funny.

“Cass,” my father reprimanded. “Is it not me that sent for her? See, Amarachi, sit down and tell me everything.” He gestured to the empty seat on his right.

I took it and instead of talking focused on the chandelier pouring out bright white light. I had always thought it was too excessive for us and now, looking at the decorative glass reflecting the light around, I was convinced I was right.

“So you're not going to say anything?”

“I didn't take it,” I told my dad.

“That's not the one I even want to talk about,” my mother started like she hadn't been told to shut up a minute ago. “You mean after the ironclad evidence and all the allegations you still went ahead and assaulted your classmate?”

I remembered the punch I had given Teni yesterday and once again I felt joy at the blood I had drawn from her nose.

I wasn't possibly going to be in any less trouble so I had thrown all my inhibitions away and did the one thing I'd been wanting to do ever since I met her.

Of course the little skank couldn't let it go and rubbed more salt in the wound she created by crying and running to Principal Obi.

I shrugged. “She had it coming.”

My mother's eyes bulged. “She . . . what? It's like you've not fully understood the severity of this situation. Because you couldn't control yourself you've now been suspended for two whole weeks. And not only that you're the first prefect in the history of that school to be forced to relinquish their badge. I hope you're happy since that's the type of record you want to be setting.”

I hated that her words stung hard enough to bring tears.

If Principal Obi had only extended my punishment by a week and taken my badge that would've been fine, but she also made me apologize to Teni in front of my mother.