Seven

Schedule for today being January 12:

Have classes as usual. *Ask Mr. Adeleke about phagocytosis after Biology class.

Try to keep Kenny from killing Sylvanus during midday. Hell, for the rest of the day.

AVOID DANIEL WELLS!!!

I paused to tap my pen on my lips.

It'd been two days since I last talked to Daniel. Two days since our tour. Two days since I decided that he wasn't good for me.

I honestly did not know how I managed not to run into him for two days but I was planning on keeping my streak. He did something to me that I shouldn't like as much as I did.

I yawned and looked at my watch. It was 4:30 in the morning and I feared going back to sleep. The bedside lamp illuminated the drug packet on the table, the drug that could solve all my problems. But I wouldn't take it, taking it meant I agreed that I couldn't handle my nightmares and that was something I would never do.

I crossed my feet under me and listened to the measured snores of the girls in my room. I could differentiate the small, ladylike snores of Grace from the manly, tractor-driver saw wood of Kenny. Telemi was a silent sleeper — thank God.

I smiled knowing that in about an hour I would get to rudely awaken all of them for school, thirty minutes earlier than expected.

I lay back on my bed in my black singlet and shorts, my feet covered in black socks, and grabbed my chemistry textbook, determined not to fall asleep.

Chemistry was my favorite subject and I couldn't wait for my first class on the subject today.

Much to my dismay, my brain decided to replay the last conversation I had with Daniel as a soundtrack to my reading.

“So tell me something,” I turned to my side and supported my head with my hand. “Did you really set your principal's car on fire?” I fiddled with the thread of the carpet so he wouldn't see how much I wanted him to be kidding.

“I'm sorry, I can't tell you. I sort of swore an oath of silence on that subject.”

I dropped my textbook on my stomach. Stupid Daniel, all you could've said was no and we'd have avoided all this.

So yeah, Chemistry was definitely a bad choice of reading material for this morning.

I made sure my watch was set for 5:30 and lay back.

Flipping through my pink binder, I was amazed at how far I'd come. My binder was an essential part of my life and I couldn't imagine how my life would've turned out without this little piece of control it provided.

As I was flipping my eyes landed on the last page and I stopped. Opening it fully I ran my eyes through the words as though I hadn't already memorized them.

Master Plan!

* Get two degrees: preferably before 25

* Build an empire (you don't need a man)

* Be a good person

* Make friends. You can never have too many.

* Leave something that people will remember you by.

My master plan always reminded me that there was a bigger picture and to keep my eyes on the ultimate prize.

Speaking of eyes, mine were starting to tear up because I always tended to over-exert them when I didn't wear my glasses and I absolutely hated my glasses. I had a small face so any glasses I wore looked humongous on me.