Five

I let out a breath and after gently resting my glasses on my small bedside table, plopped down on my bed.

School was hectic and I felt the exhaustion creep into my bones.

It was just the first day and already I had two separate assignments in maths and biology and a lot of reading to do on the rest of my subjects.

The temptation to pull my cover over my head and doze off was overwhelming but some things had to be taken care of first.

There was the matter of my appointment to see the nurse and the tour I'd stupidly agreed to take after school.

Before I could decode what was going on I felt a dip in my bed on my right and pretty soon I couldn't control the laughter that erupted from me.

“The one and only Amarachi! How was your holiday na?”

Thankfully the tickling stopped long enough for me to catch my breath and I looked up at the fuzzy face of my assailant.

Squinting, I recognized Telemi's pockmarked face instantly.

“God Almighty! What is doing you? Are you ok?”

“What do you mean ‘am I ok?’ Nawa oh, you don't see your friend for two months and that's the greeting you get?”

I didn't need to answer because Kenny announced her presence with a squeal.

“Is that you Telemi? Our room is finally complete!”

I was left alone on my bed as Telemi focused her attention on Kenny.

“Kenny, Kenny! My nigga! How far na?”

I exchanged a look with Grace as they started their weird handshake, grateful that I had at least one sane roommate.

“You know, considering the hundreds of thousands of naira your parents spend here every term I'd expect you guys to be a little more cultured,” I said as I stood up from my bed to deal with the remaining items on my list.

“Don't mind Amara, it's that time of the month,” Kenny joined Telemi on her bed with Kenny's suitcase placed between them.

I rolled my eyes just as my pink watch still strapped to my right wrist beeped, reminding me that I had just thirty minutes before I had to meet Daniel.

I quickly got out a blue sweater and a pair of black sweatpants from my box.

Perhaps the only thing I liked about Brightway International School — besides the Quad and the library — was the fact that after school we were free to wear whatever we wanted just as long as it wasn't too racy.

Other boarding schools had housewears and Sunday clothes but we were allowed jeans and hoodies with muted colours.

After tying my hair at my nape I slid into a pair of black sandals and grabbed my glasses.

“Hey! Where are you going na?” Telemi asked as I was about to step out.

“She's right. You're supposed to help sort these, remember? First day of school, where everyone helps to hide the contraband before Mrs. Lawal comes up, ring any bells?” Kenny gestured toward the chocolates and junk food they were removing from her box. Grace had already joined them and was munching on a bar of Toblerone.

“I'm sorry but I have things to do. Don't let them eat my Twix or I will swear for all of you.”

I rushed out and prayed to God that Nurse Ogechi would spare me one of her ‘repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand’ sermons.