Chapter 21 | Race

I was helping Jojo out with a shiner when Skittery stumbled through the bunk room door, beat to a pulp.

"Skittery, what tha hell?" jack rushed over to help him to his bed.

"What? I thought I was good lookin' enough," Skittery retorted.

"Sure, doll face," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "Pretty as ever." I joined he and Jack and used a wet rag to start cleaning up the blood.

"Thanks Racer."

"What happened, Skit?" Jack asked.

"I was tryna sell at my normal spot and a few guys jumped me."

"Yeah, no shit," I said. "Who'd ya think it was?"

"I dunno. Harlem, I think."

Boots jumped from his bunk. "Could've been. Harlem's joined Brooklyn."

Jack sighed. "And the Bronx?"

"Still fightin' just to fight. They'se on their own."

It was my turn to sigh. This whole borough war mess started on my behalf and it was making me feel like shit. "Jack, I told ya this was a bad idea. Boys are comin' in every day lookin' like Skittery he'ah. Ya picked a fight with the toughest borough in New York. Spot or no Spot. It's not goin' in our favor Jack, and it's only gonna get worse from he'ah."

Mush snorted. "Well the shiners are definitely uppin' our revenue, mine at least. I'se had a couple of pretty goils gimme a few extra cents 'cause I'm so strong an' tough."

"Aren't ya gay, Mush?" Albert asked.

"I'm bi, thank you'se very much," Mush responded, sticking his nose in the air. "And besides, I'm still with Blinky-boy. I'se just sayin' the'ahs some perks."

"Don't call me that!" Blink called from the bathroom.

"We can't just let em think we'se a buncha babies who're just gonna take the punches!" Jack exclaimed.

"Are ya really gonna risk your friends, your family, to protect our reputation? Your reputation?" I argued. Jack had a look on his face for just a moment. I could tell he was tryna come up with a solution, even though he knew I was over it. He stood up to address all the newsies.

"From now on, we go in pairs. Never leave ya buddie's side. Return back he'ah to the lodgin' house immediately after sellin'."

"But Jack," I tried to counter. He ignored me.

"Crutchie!"

"Yeah, Jack?"

"The lil' kids ain't gonna be goin' out as of now. Can you'se take care of em? Keep em entertained?"

"Sure thing, Jack," Crutchie saluted. "But whatta 'bout me? I'se gotta eat. So will the kiddos."

"Starting now we're gonna have shared expenses. Only the things we need. No races, no pocket watches. We gotta save up for food and rent." Murmurs and groans filled the room. Jack turned to me. "Racer, can we hide it all under that loose board on ya bunk?"

"Yeah, no problem."

"Good. This war is aboutta get bloody."

That scared me. "Jack, you started this war on my behalf. I'm sick of the boys comin' in bloody every day. Sometimes your safety an' wellbein' are more important than ya reputation. Why can't we jus' surrender and call it off?"

He sighed and looked at me. "Racetrack this is more than jus' my reputation. Think about it. If we surrendered, what would that mean fo'ah you'se and Spot? Huh? What about Mush and Blink? All da otha' gay newsies? If we surrendered, we might as well be handin' ya over to die. I can't lose you'se, or Mush, or Blink, or any otha' newsie. I'm doin' this to protect you'se. These guys saved ya life once, let em do it again."

With that he walked away. I remained where I stood. I had never thought about the impact our surrender could have on my life, I just wanted to save the guys, and the thought of them saving my life before... well it's true but that was a low blow for Jack to have taken. These boys had saved my life countless times. Beyond the roof incident, beyond picking me off the street, they were always the reason I had stayed alive, but I didn't want to think of all the times i'd come close to death and Jack didn't have the right to bring it up. Nevertheless, he was right.

A/N: well it's been a bit, and it's a short one, but it's here.

- Newt