Chapter 14 | Race

TRIGGER WARNING - KINDA BAD HOMOPHOBIA

David, Les, Mush, Kid Blink, Boots and I were sneaking through the gates of the refuge. It was late, resulting in the night shielding us from sight. We hid behind a clutter of barrels to ensure our being hidden. David pointed to a lit window. "That's the window where we saw Crutchie." We looked around, about to move when that sunuvabitch Snyder appeared in our line of vision with Jack. "It's Jack!" Les whisper-yelled, addressing the elephant in the room. "Where dey takin' 'im Dave?" Mush asked less quietly. David shushed him. "Only one way to find out. I'll meet you guys at the square." He pushed his brother into my hands. "Racetrack, watch him." David ran off and hid on the back of the carriage. Being driven away to some unknown location.

I turned to the boys, bemused. "Did he really just entrust da safety of his lil' brudda with me?" The others chuckled and we headed back to the lodging house.

Half way back Mush grabbed my arm. "Hey," he paused for a second. "Can we talk fo-ah a second?" I nodded hesitantly. "S-should I be worried?" Mush shook his head. "If anything, I should be."

"Hey boys! Ya comin'?" Boots asked from ahead. "Go on, we'll catch up!" I called back. He nodded, visible from the glowing light of the street lamp. I turned back to Mush. "What's up?" He opened his mouth, closed it, looked around, and dragged me into a nearby alley way. He pulled over two crates and we sat down. He opened and closed his mouth again. He sighed. "You'se wanna explain what happened last night?" It was my turn to sigh. "I-I," I stuttered. Trying to find the right words, I burst into tears. Bewildered, Mush hugged me. I buried my face in his shoulder. "Shhh, it's okay Racetrack," he tried comforting me. "O-oh Mush, it's him! I can't get him o-outta m-me mind! He'll never f-fuckin' love me a-and every day I just fall fa-fa-farther and f-farther in love and I j-just fuckin' c-c-c-can't!"

"Who? Spot?" I wailed louder when I heard Mush say his name. "It's fine Race. It's okay," Mush continued trying to calm me down but to no avail. After a while I pulled away. I blew my nose into my sleeve, reducing the racket I was making into a light sniffle. Mush grabbed my shoulders. "Let's head back ta da lodging house, shall we?" I nodded and stood up. I looked up behind me to the roof and thought I saw something move. I rubbed my eyes, clearing out excess tears so I could see better but nothing was there. I brushed it off, ignoring it and headed back home with Mush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THUNDER'S POV

I was finishing up my rounds, about to head back to Brooklyn when I heard someone crying. "Shhh, it's okay Racetrack," I heard someone say in a Manhattan accent. Racetrack? As in Race? As in the kid Spot always talks about in his sleep? I crossed the roof I was on and looked below into an alley way. Two boys were down there sitting on old crates. One I recognized to be Mush, a Manhattan newsie (hence the accent), and one who had his face buried in Mush's shoulder, who I assumed to be Racetrack. "O-oh Mush, it's him! I can't get him o-outta m-me mind! He'll never f-fuckin' love me a-and every day I just fall fa-fa-farther and f-farther in love and I j-just fuckin' c-c-c-can't!" OoOoOoh, I smell me some gay tea. I listened intently, hoping to catch the name of this mysterious boy. I got what I wanted, but it was the last person who I'd ever expect.

"Who? Spot?" Mush asked. Race wailed louder, giving me a fairly good idea that that was the right answer. I was taken aback. This Manhattan newsie was in love with Spot Conlon aka The King of Brooklyn, and the feelings were mutual?!?! The hell? Mush tried comforting Race but it wasn't working. After a few minutes (I wanted to stick around and find out all I could) Race pulled away from Mush's shoulder. "Let's head back ta da lodging house, shall we?" Mush suggested. Race nodded, silently agreeing. He looked up to where I was and rubbed his eyes. I quickly backed away from the edge, hoping he wouldn't see me. I heard the two walk away, heading back to their lodging house or wherever. I did the same.