Chapter 4 I Race

That evening the only thing I could think about was the riot we had today. We sang yet another song, this time led by David. Props to him, he's getting the hang of things. When we were done we stormed the circulation center. We was soakin' the scabs when the bulls came a took Crutchie to the refuge, David and Jack were there were there right now trying to bust him out. I was lying in bed but couldn't take it anymore. I got out of my bottom bunk, attempting to make as little noise as possible as to not wake the others. I put on my clothes, grabbed my cigar and climbed out the window, down the fire escape, and headed towards Brooklyn. 

By the time I got there, the sun had almost fully set below the horizon. I made it to the docks without too much trouble. I had found a way avoiding the group of Spot's "guards" and had made it to where we met this morning. "Spot?" I called out. No answer. I walked to the edge of the dock and sat with my legs crossed on a barrel, watching as the orange sun dipped below the sparkling, navy-blue water of the East River.

"Beautiful ain't it?" Came the unmistakable voice of Spot Conlon behind me. I turned my head. "Word of wisdom, don't eva sneak up on me like that again Conlon. But ya it is," I said, never breaking eye contact. Little did he know I meant both views.  He soft expression turned hard and he pulled out his pimp cane. "I told ya if ya eva used my last name like that again I'd soak ya." He lunged at me but I dodged and pushed him in the river. He came to the surface spitting out water, glaring at me. "And by the looks of things I soaked you,I said smirking, and pointing finger guns at him

I saw him crack a small smile before switched back to an angry glare as he climbed out of the water. He tried lunging at me again but I dodged yet again. This time he tripped over my foot and fell back into the icy water. "I see you have a thing for the water don't ya there Spotty?" I teased. He looked cute when he was annoyed.  He glared at me again and climbed back out of the water. This time he didn't try pushing me in. "Why'd ya come?" Spot asked. "We destroyed tha circulation center today," I said. "Crutchie was taken by the bulls and soon enough the rest of us will be locked up in tha refuge ourselves. We need your help Spot." He kept eye contact and circled me. "Why'd you'se come? Why not Jacky-boy? Why not Mush? Why not that walking mouth Davey? Why you'se Race?" I felt my face heating up. Thank god is was dark so he couldn't see. "I guess I'm just tha only one who's not scared of Brooklyn and it's five foot leada,"  I said, smirking. He lunged at me again, I quickly dodged and he fell back into the river. I walked to the edge and held my hands behind my back. "tsk tsk, I thought you'se would have learned your lesson by now Spot."

I started walking back towards Brooklyn bridge. "Hey Race?" I turned. Spot was back up on the dock. "What was the real reason Jack had ta carry you'se here?" I smirked, the moon illuminating my face. "Like I'se said. That's for me ta know and you'se not ta find out." I turned on my heel and ran back to Manhattan before Spot could say anything.