Chapter 17 | Race

"Rememba what I told ya, Mr. Snyda. The foist thing ya do in jail, make friends with da rats. Share what you got in common." I cheered with the rest of the crowd as Snyder stepped in the old paddy wagon and Crutchie slid the bar into place, locking him in. We all greet Crutchie as he joins us by the gate, "How ya doin' kid?" I ask. "Peachy Racer how 'bout you'se?" I smile and he notices Spot and my hands laced together. I hadn't even noticed. He smiles wide, a hint of confusion in his eyes, but all together supportive. He turns to Jack. "Aw, Jack, you ought tah seen it! He comes stormin' inta de Refuge waving his walkin' stick like a sword and he's leadin' in dis army of lawyas and cops-"

"Who comes stormin' in?" Jack cuts him off. Crutchie smiles again. "Ya know, your friend. Him!" He points to a place in the crowd where a man with a suit and top hat was greeting the kids. "Teddy Roosevelt!" My jaw dropped and I looked around at the boys "The governor?" I ask. "The governor?!"

"The Governor's very grateful that you brought this problem to his attention." Denton spoke up. "I said you might need a lift somewhere. He'd be happy to oblige. Anywhere you want. And this time, you ride inside." Jack rubbed the nape of his neck. "So, can he drop me at da train-yards?" He asked a little reluctantly. Denton shrugged his shoulders and spoke in a soft voice. "Yeah, if that's what you want."

The group of us push our way through the crowd of kids to Roosevelt's carriage. He and Jack shook hands and mentioned something about Jack escaping on the back of the vehicle. The governor signals the driver and they're off, quickly disappearing behind swarms of children. Mush and I lean against a pole, watching our friend go.

"Try Bottle Alley or da harbor," Mush sings. I let out a small, one beat of a chuckle. "Try Central Park, it's guaranteed," I add. "I'm not going to Central Park." "I'm going to Central Park," two boys argue before walking off. Crutchie joins us and sings: "Try any banker, bum or barber."

"dey almost all knows how tah read," Blink chimes in. "Summer stinks," Boots starts. "And wintER's wAItin'," Skittery says. Specs, Bumlets, and Snipeshooter jump in, "Welcome to New York!" Snoddy, Pie-Eater, Swifty, Itey, and Jake group together and sing: "Boy ain't nature fascinating!" All of us join together in one big group and walk into the circulation center for our papes singing: "When you'se gotta walk!"

Davey stands up at the desk holding a coin up to Weasle's face, taunting him before he slams it on the counter. "Hundred papes." He says. Mush pats him on the back. "Alright Davey." Cheers suddenly erupt from behind us. Okay, I get it, it's David. But does everyone really need to cheer over a hundred newspapers? I think as I turn around. Mush points to Roosevelt's returning carriage. "Dave, he's back!" The carriage stops in the middle of the circulation center. Jack and the governor stand up and exchange a few words before Jack climbs out and walks up to David. He crosses his arms. "So, how's de headline taday?" As if he's being tested from the past couple of weeks or so, David smiles, put on his newsie cap, and says: "Headlines don't sell papes, newsies sell papes." Jack smiles back. "Come 'ere, Davey." They spit shake and get swarmed again by the large crowd. Sarah pushes her way over to Jack. Jack smiles wider and presses his lips on hers, making out in public. "OoOoh! Check it boys!" I yell over all the noise. I grab Mush, Blink, and Spot, wrap my arms around them, and did what they did to me. "Love is in de ai-ah tonight!" We sing. They break apart and Jack swats me, laughing.

Spot turns to me, tipping his hat. "Well I should get goin'. I gotta kingdom ta run." He winks and kisses my forehead. " I'll see ya tomorrow." I nod my head as he climbs into Roosevelt's carriage. "Ya think I can get a tide ta da Navy Yard pier?" He asks. Roosevelt nods and signals the driver to go.

"Bye Spot!"

"Hey Spot!"

"Yo Conlon!" People call out. "Go back ta Brooklyn ya hear!" Jack yells ahead of me. I run and catch up with him and we exchange a glance. He smirks and nods. "Go getem Racer," he says. I give him an appreciative look and run, trying to catch the carriage. I jump and get a grip of the back. Spot smirks. "Thought you wan'ed ta stay in 'Hattan Race."

"Is a man not allowed ta change 'is mind?" I joke. "Well get in 'ere instead o' hangin' off da back!" Spot smirks more. "Wipe dat ugly smirk off ya face," I laugh, crawling into the carriage. Spot pulls me close to him and I curl up into a ball, basically pressing myself into him. He kisses my tempel. "Ya know you'se love it."

"I know."