The Real Chapter 13

I heard a scream, and before I knew it several pairs of hands were grabbing at the back of my shirt and hauling me back on the roof. I shoved my journal under my shirt and into my waistband before anyone could see. "RACE WHAT DA ACTUAL HELL????" Finch yelled at me. "Suicide's supposed ta be a private thing y'know." I squeaked. I felt tears burning in my eyes but I tried to suppress them. "Private???? I can see da headline now. 'Newsie commits suicide by jumping off Lodging House roof'!" Skittery exclaimed. David came and sat next to me. He gingerly touched my shoulder. "Why Race?" he asked, sympathetically. "Why?". I burst into tears, unable to hold back the waterfalls that had been threatening to cascade down my face. All the newsies, every single one stared at me, then embraced me in a big group hug.

It took me a few moments to process what was happening. I shoved them all off angrily. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" I screamed. "DON'T YOU DAMN TOUCH ME!" They all looked so hurt. Les and Snipeshooter had sad puppy dog eyes, brimming with tears. I stepped backward towards the fire escape. "You have no idea," I said. Softer this time. I pivoted on my heel and ran down the fire escape. I threw my journal under my mattress and threw myself in bed, my back to the window. I cried and cried. One by one I heard the newsies climb through the window and into bed. I felt Mush stare at me a long time before I heard the creaking of him climbing into the bunk above me (I know Blink was actually above him in the movie but for the sake of the story, it's Mush). I cried until I had no tears left, finally drifting off into a dreamless slumber.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Race. Racetrack." Someone was gently shaking my shoulder, ending my night long hibernation. "Hmm?" I rolled over, groggily. It was Mush. "The trial is starting soon. You gotta wake up." My eyes widened and suddenly the world crashed down on me all at once. I had tried to kill myself last night. I started to hyperventilate and I did the only rational thing. I screamed. The other newsies stared at me for a moment or two. "Shh, shhhh, calm down it's okay, everything's okay," Mush tried comforting me. Everything was not okay but I calmed down a little.

Mush helped me put on my shoes and get out of bed. I could barely stand. I was shaking so bad. He brought my worn out jacket over and helped me into it. I had fallen asleep in my clothes so that helped some. He escorted me out the door and all the way to the court house.

All us newsies were gathered in a fenced off area of the courtroom. I stood as far away as possible from Spot. I don't think he even saw me.

"All rise. All rise. Court is now in session. Judge E.A. Monahan presiding," the bailiff said with absolutely no emotion in his voice, like he was reading by script. The Judge looked at us cold. "Are any of you boys represented by council?" We looked at each other confused. What was council? "No? Good, that will move things along considerably."

"Hey, yer hona', I object!"

Spot. Oh god Spot. Mush grabbed my arm to prevent me from hyperventilating again. I looked at him and nodded in appreciation. The Judge rolled his eyes at Spot's outburst. "On what grounds?"

"On da grounds o' Brooklyn, yer hona'."

Us newsies cracked up at Spot's cockiness. Even I laughed. Monahan on the other hand, was not amused to say the least. He banged his gavel on his desk. "I fine each of you five dollars, or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge." The newsies shouted in protest. Five dollars? We didn't have that kind of money! "Whoa, whoa, whoa," I said as I pushed my way to the front. Next to Spot. "We ain't got five bucks. We don't even got five cents!" I tried to ignore the fact that I was standing next to the love of my life. I pulled my dice out of pocket, tossed them in the air, and caught them. I put on a cocky smirk. "Hey, yer hona', how 'bout I roll ya for it. Double or nuttin'?" The newsies laughed again. I looked at Spot. He had a glimmer in his eye and was laughing too.