The Bonnet

"But it's something I really need," cried Joanne as she gazed into the store shops glass window.
There on a wooden mannequin head sat a beautiful white bonnet with lace ribbon and satin red flowers. "Not another word of it Joanne, we must save for real needs" said uncle Walter, "like the thanksgiving turkey we just bought." But I'll die if I must endure another ball with my old bonnet. You just know that Mary will have an entire new dress made for her. I'd so like to attract compliments the way she does."

Joanne my younger sister thinks she needs every luxury to survive. My mother says she gets that particular greedy trait from her, but of course you wouldn't think that for a second if you met my mother now, she is quite content and gets along with the least of any of us. However, my older brother Alfred desires a life lacking in nothing for him and his wife Elain. Sometimes I believe he would do anything to be rich. I expect he will allow Elain new ribbons for the Christmas ball, but anything more would probably be to much since it's the slow season for his shop keep. I do tend to go to these balls for a change of scenery and the possibility of finding a suitor, but I almost always regret it for the headache I feel a whole day after.
The displeasure in Joannes voice grew louder and she looked at me with disdain. She persisted her need for the bonnet in secret. "Edith you must convince uncle Walter I need this. He'll listen to you, you're the sensible one." "That bonnet is definitely not my style but I will ask him for you, only for the entertainment of it all" I whispered back. By this time we were nearing the end of the shops and started on walking toward home. But just as we were about to cross Thames river bridge uncle Walter yelled "HALT." Everyone stopped just in time as a beautiful black and gold carriage with footmen and four white horses came rushing over the bridge. As they passed us I saw several large leather trunks stacked on the back.
My mother looked at uncle Walter with hope in her eyes. "Maybe there's some wealthy young suitors looking for a wife in that carriage."
Uncle Walter scoffed, "If so they almost just ran over their potential in laws." I couldn't help but laugh at the statement. "Oh mother to think we were nearly under foot the horses of our suitors." By this time Joanne was giggling too. "We'll I don't think being trampled to death is something to snicker about." Said Uncle Walter. "I suppose nothing makes you happy Uncle," stated Joanne holding her giggles. "Now that's not all true," I teased "real needs like the thanksgiving turkey make him quite pleased." Now everyone except uncle Walter were laughing. Mother patted his shoulder and smiled as she pleaded he not be to angry with us only having a little fun. "Well I suppose I can't be to vexed at my sister for having two silly and senseless daughters since she also has to put up with me." He said.
As we made it to our Georgian Colonial home I was happy our Sunday afternoon walk ended on such a good note.