Troubled Heart

As weeks waned on I had nearly given up all hope of hearing from James. A gentlemen I had danced with at the ball called on me a few days after but I had turned him down in hopes that Montgomery would come calling, but no sign of him since, not even a letter. Surely if a man truly loves a women he will let her know, will he not?
Mother walked in my room interrupting my thoughts.

"Edith?" She said gently.
"My darling girl it is not at all like you to let some suitor get you so down."
I looked up with sad eyes. "Yes but he wasn't just some suitor, I truly thought he was the one."
Mama grabbed my brush and began to brush my long brown hair.
"Come down and join us for breakfast, Martha fixed your favorite, coffee, ham and eggs, said Mother.
"If I must," I grumbled.
"I insist," said mother.

As we entered the Dining Room Joanne looked up solemnly. Uncle barely looked up from his paper. I gave a half hearted smile.

"Good morning," I said.
"More like good afternoon," said Joanne as she winked, earning herself a full smile from me.
We all ate mostly in silence for lack of knowing the right thing to say.
"I do think I've earned myself a trip to Aunt Mary's," I said looking at uncle earnestly.
Mother's eyes darted at him along with everyone else's in the room.
"I suppose if you wish to stay with her for a couple weeks I can make due without you," he said finally looking up from his paper.
"Thank you uncle Walter," I said smiling.
"Only if you promise to be in better spirits when you return," he said.
"I promise," I said smiling as I finished my breakfast.

Aunt Mary was the youngest in Uncle Walters family, and she too was a widower. But her fate was the kindest of us all as she had married into a wealthier family and had an estate that her late husbands parents owned and permitted she stay in since her husband passed away during a scarlet fever outbreak, which was also the fate of my Aunt Halifax, but Uncle Walter never talks of her, I think it still hurts too much.

"You'll need help packing," said Joanne as she followed me back to my room.
"You seem a little too okay with the fact I get to go to Aunt Mary's alone," I said.
"I feel bad about everything, honest, plus I could use a week or two getting the attention back on me," she said with a giggle.
"Ahh I knew there was more to it," I said laughing.

After all my trunks were packed and uncles telegram warning of my arrival was sent. Mother begged uncle to let our side hand John assure my safe arrival.

"I suppose I can be without him for a few days," said Uncle.
And with that I was off. Over the beautiful countryside heading for Aunt Mary's Home. I couldn't wait to pretend I had a different life. To wake up in a room adorned with all the finer things. And to get my mind off my woes.

The ride there was bumpy and long, and when we made it to the Estate I slept for a whole day to recover.