Chp. 37

-AMANDA’S POV-

Seeing Devon sitting on her bed, looking up at me, excitement clear on her features… it made me feel good. Probably the best I’ve felt in about two months. 

I had missed her so much, but moving out was the best move.

Devon stood, “You look a little… different,” she raised her hand and took a strand of hair in her fingers. “Did you color it darker?”

I shook my head, “No, it just did it naturally.”

Yes, my hair had gotten darker on it’s own, it was more brown, but there was some red tint still, but very vague. 

I didn’t understand it, but over the time I had alone I tried to make a connection. There was obviously something between me and Devon, it was weird, when I was around her I loved her, my feelings changed, my physical appearance even changed. Then again, when I wasn’t with her I started going back to my old self, I had even caught myself missing Nelson…

But then I ended up here, staring at Devon, and the feelings were back, and I loved her again. 

So what was the connection? 

Devon’s eyes lingered on me as I snapped out of my daydream, and I smiled, but it was a weak one. “What have you been up to?”

Her face fell, I didn’t know what she was expecting me to say, that I missed her? I did. I can’t lie about that… but telling her… I don’t know. What if I told her and she looked at me like I was stupid? 

“Uh, school. Me and Emerson were trying to hang out, we were at the mall when you called me and I told him to bring me back home.”

I smiled, for the first time Devon had blown Emerson off for me, and not vise versa. I couldn’t contain my smile and she noticed, making her blush. I sighed, “So this must be pretty important then.”

She nodded, “It is Amanda,” she looked up at me, sending me a look that made me uneasy. Something wasn’t right with her, and I had a feeling it was me. 

I tilted my head, “Wanna tell me why then?”

She looked down at her feet, and then she moved to sit on her bed, “Amanda… I don’t know what it is. I don’t understand why you left.”

I felt my heart fall, the way she said that… you could feel the pain it was so strong. “Devon… I just needed to get away. Just like you… figure out myself. I’m just… I’m not seeing the connection.”

“What connection?”

I looked at the curiosity on her face, she was waiting, but could I tell her? Would she understand?  Or would she just look at me like an idiot if I told her? 

Guess I’ll never know if I don’t ask.