Chp. 20

Trenton, he had to know. I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea for me to go and find him but he was my only hope. Devon wasn’t going to tell me, so I needed an alternative. But would he reveal a secret to the girl that he had never met? 

We were connected though, some way in my heart I knew that much. 

So I would go and find him, even if it had to be in jail.

I needed answers. 

***

A week passed, I had planned endlessly trying to figure out how I could sneak away from Devon for a weekend and lie about where I was going. 

I was scared, what was it going to be like facing the guy who had ruined my life? What was he going to look like? What was I going to say?

How was I going to bring up his dead friend with ease?

I was going to head to the state jail in a bit, visiting hours were starting at 3:00 and he wasn’t expecting me. I didn’t know much going in there, I just knew what I was going for. 

Devon was out with Emerson, I felt the twinge of jealousy creep up into my stomach. I rolled my eyes at my stupid heart and grabbed my keys off the desk, heading towards the door. 

When I opened it I checked the hall for Devon but found no trace of her, and I bolted to my car. 

Another thing that had been occupying my mind was of course, Samantha. I saw her at every turn, and I didn’t know if she was trying to scare me or intimidate me but both were certainly working. She would so happen to walk in the shower room at the same time as me, along with the mornings I would brush my teeth. She would linger around while me and Trevor practiced outside in the quad and when I would go out for a shake with Devon she was there. 

What was her deal?

I was hitting the highway, I had an entire thirty minutes until I would drive up into the jail parking lot for visitors. 

I didn’t know why I was so scared, maybe it was the fact that it was jail, or because I was actually going to talk to Trenton. He wouldn’t know who I was,  and I was going to have to introduce myself, and explain to him why I was here. 

Which was an entirely new ordeal. 

I tried not to think about it to much, but I failed miserably. The thoughts that were swarming around my head were like annoying honey bees, nothing you did would make them go away. 

Then I was finally in the parking lot. 

I grabbed my purse, and I decided I would leave it in the car for safety. I grabbed my keys and phone and joined the tiny crowd as we filed in. we walked through metal detectors and I handed them my phone and keys, my heart was pounding loudly inside my chest.