Chp. 2

*Amanda’s POV*

I opened my eyes, my head was throbbing, and I had a painful ache in my right arm. I saw my mom, dad, and my little brother Emert. They were crying, What had happened?

I spoke, “Mom… what happened?”

She sobbed, leaning down and gently touching my head, “Amanda, you got into a car wreck…”

A car wreck? What…?

She took my hand in hers, sitting in the chair next to my hospital bed, “Baby… Nelson… do you remember him?”

He was my boyfriend, of course I frikkin remembered him… I nodded, “Yes mom…”

“Nelson… his back… he’s paralyzed sweetie, from the waist down…”

I felt a pain in my heart, I sobbed, crying out, “No… no, no, no… this can’t be happening…”

She gripped my hand tighter as I sobbed, my heart feeling as if it was going to burst from pain. “Am I… paralyzed?”

She shook her head, smiling, “No baby… you’re just a little cut up, and your arm is broken…”

Emert picked up a tiny mirror on the table as I inspected my arm, then I took the mirror from him, looking at my reflection.

The first thing I noticed were my eyes… they were no longer dark green. They were hazel, a light, electrifying green, with flecks of brown…

They were beautiful, but they weren’t mine. My eyes used to be green… plain, and now they weren’t anymore.

Then my eyes traveled to the scar that was stitched above my eyebrow, running through it, the hair receding from my patch of hair above my eye.

I leaned my head back, realizing how weak I really was. My mom helped me pull my blanket up and she smiled, “We’ll be back tomorrow morning, you’re going to be moved out of ICU into a regular room tomorrow…”

I nodded, I didn’t want to be left alone but there was nothing I could do about it tonight.

She leaned down, kissing me, and then my dad and Emert, who lingered by me longer then usual. I felt the tears threaten to leave my eyes as I looked at him, his dark green eyes that resembled my old ones…

Why weren’t my eyes like that anymore?

I didn’t understand, but in a way, I didn’t want to…

They left me, and all of a sudden I was exhausted, and I wanted to go to sleep, but I couldn’t. I had to much on my mind.

Nelson, my boyfriend of an entire year was paralyzed… he would no longer walk, no longer play baseball for Florida State like he had been planning. He would have to go through physical therapy… but he would never walk again, never hold my hand again as we walked in the park or through the mall…

But I would try and stick it out with him, stand by his side, wouldn’t I?

I owed him that much….

Who were the other people? The one’s that ran into us? Did they die? I hope they did… fucking bastards. They did this to me and my boyfriend, it was their fault he was paralyzed, that he was never going to live his dream.

And he would have to watch me go to school… walk around, laugh, and try to be happy while he was depressed.

How could we deal with that? We were only 18...

A nurse walked in, it startled me but I was able to ask, “Excuse me… who were the other people in this wreck? Do you know? Did they make it?”

Please let it not be a family…

“Yes, it was Trenton Clark and Rachel Kidder… Trenton was drunk driving, he was pretty messed up but just his face, and Rachel was the passenger…”

Her voice trailed off, and by the look on her face I knew it wasn’t good for her. Rachel Kidder… where have I heard that name before…?

She showed me the clipboard, a face of Trenton Clark was there, his blonde hair hanging in front of his blue eyes. He was gorgeous. Then there was a picture of Rachel, I whispered, holding my hand over my mouth in shock, “I know her…”

The first thing I noticed about her were her eyes, were they… hazel… light green with brown flecks. They looked exactly like mine!

The nurse pulled away, “She um… she passed away at the scene. Died on impact.”

I cried silently, She didn’t deserve to die… the nurse walked out but I continued to cry. This was all so fucked up, me, Nelson, Rachel…

Trenton was the one that deserved to die.

How were we expected to get through this? Because right now I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to sleep tonight…

The pain was just that bad in my arm and heart…

But eventually my body gave out and I was forced into a deep sleep, it was probably all of the pain killers.

Then I was gone, sleeping peacefully for probably the last night for the rest of my life.