14. Epiphany

"What do you mean?"

Jaemin didn't know how to explain. Nor he knew why he was having that question in the first place.

"Just answer me." That's what he said.

Jeno didn't seem to understand. Nevertheless he nodded his head hesitantly.

"Yes?" His answer came out as a question. "I mean, I'm trustworthy enough."

"I know, but that's not what I'm talking about." The detective was serious. "Can I trust you with whatever happened with Mei?"

Jeno blinked few times, giving his famous clueless puppy look.

"What exactly are you trying to point out, Jaemin?"

"The thing is," he didn't want to hide anything. "We have this small lead, that you might be a possible suspect."

Jaemin waited until the older processed what he said.

"I'm sorry what?" As expected, the Lee sounded shocked. "You're suspecting me for Mei's death? Seriously?"

"Its not what you think-- look, this is how we work here." Jaemin didn't want to make it more complicated. "I know you have nothing to do with this. But Jeno, that's me. That's because I know you."

Jeno let out a scoff, removing the seat belt. Jaemin felt awful at his own words.

Jeno wasn't involved. He knew that crystal clear.

But what if?

Ten years have passed and things have changed. Jeno wasn't being all honest with him either. The whole Kang Jiwon situation was the best example.

But Jaemin thought about it a lot. Even tho he knew that Jeno was lying, he figured that it wasn't about this murder case but something else.

Even to that very day, he was trusting Jeno with his whole heart, ignoring the said name on his list.

"If you can assure me that I can trust you enough, I promise, I won't let anything happen to you. No one would come after you." He went on. "Just give me your word and I'll take care of everything."

He sounded too desperate for no reason.

"Is this a joke? Am I a joke to you?"

"I told you it's not like that. This is my job, for god's sake. I'm trying to make this easier for both of us."

"But this doesn't-"

"Yes or no," Jaemin cut him off. "I only need one answer and we are good to go after that."

Jeno shot him a glare. "How are you gonna know whether I'm lying or not? Would you belive me if I say yes?"

"Yes." No hesitation. "You wanna know why?"

Both waited, staring at eachother. Jaemin gave him a soft smile.

"Because till to this day, whether you have changed or not, you still can't lie to me." He said as casual as he could. "And you know that too."