Chapter II

~SAGE POV~

I wake up to the sun shining through my window like normal. I don't remember falling asleep last night, but I'm glad I did at one point. Kaelyn is next to me, wrapped up in the blanket. Daisy and Emelia both ended up on the floor next to my bed last night as well, all of them still soundly asleep, eyes red and puffy from crying.

The moment we had all been dreading was finally upon us, my father had taken a turn for the worse last night. I remember my mother telling us, and my sisters all crying, devasted for the moment we all feared. I was numb, I didn't exactly know how to feel. It was something I had known for coming, it wasn't a blow to the gut like Dalton's death. I wasn't sure whether to be sad, or scared, because I knew what this meant for me, it was time for me to step up into his spot.

My sisters weren't allowed to see him this way, not yet at least. Not until they were in a better state of mind. I sat with him for most of the night because it would be my last with him. We sat and talked, reminisced about the old memories, and despite his current state he was still making jokes as usual. But he knew as well as I did what was in store for me, what I would be facing in the next few days. He gave me advice, and some final words of wisdom for the journey I was about to take. I hadn't told my sisters that I was leaving yet, I figured it would be too much to put on them at once.

I don't remember what time I finally came to bed, but they were all still awake, huddled together waiting for me.

"How is he?" They asked. I didn't want to worry them more then they were. So I gave them a sad smile and made it sound the best I could.

"He's not great. But he's still himself, making jokes and criticizing me even in his state." They laugh, not enough to be genuine, but just enough to acknowledge my attempt to lighten the mood.

"Can we sleep with you tonight?" Kaelyn asked me, although she was already snuggled in my bed, so it was more of a statement then a question.

"Of course you can." I knew this would be my last few days with them for a while. I wasn't sure when I would have to leave, but I knew father was talking about leaving soon and preparing for something. Something big. We had talked about it some before, but last night he let me know just what I was stepping into. Our country was about to go to war. And I would be expected to lead it.

A few days went by this way, all of us sleeping together, holding on to each other for everything. I still didn't want to tell my sisters I would be leaving soon, they leaned on me for everything through this. I kept to my training schedule, even without father. He wasn't gone yet, and as long as he is fit enough to talk, he'll make sure I don't let up at all. I've spent all my free time with him though, and most of the night. My sisters sat with him now too, after the first blow passed.

My mother tried not to let it show, but I could see this was doing a number on her. Even though we've known this was coming, it's still impossible to prepare for, and even harder to watch him struggle like this. She goes on with her normal routines, cooking and cleaning, busying herself with whatever she can to take her mind off him. It makes me feel terrible knowing I'll have to leave her too. Not only is she losing her husband, but her eldest daughter will be gone as well.

I sit at the kitchen table after a morning of training. Kae came out with me this morning, she wanted to "see what I always go do" and thought it was awesome that her big sister can shoot a bow like daddy can. I told her that was my talent, just like her talent is singing. Kaelyn has a beautiful voice and loves to sing every chance she gets. I have no doubts she'll be a singer when she grows up.

I picked up the paper and began to read the daily updates. Nothing interesting caught my eye until the daily report from the palace. Midlands had attacked. I dropped the paper on the table, too surprised to do anything. My mom looked over, and I can't imagine the expression I was making, but her face immediately crowded with worry. I nodded, confirming her worries, it was time for me to go.