Chapter IV

~Cas~

"Your highness, my apologies but the meeting was due to start 15 minutes ago." Private Ensuador tells me.

"I'm aware of the time, private. As I stated before, we will not be starting the meeting without General McKinney." Oh, what could be better than this. The crowned prince of Genesia holding possibly the most important meeting of his life, with every advisor in the room- and he starts the meeting late! I mean how could anyone be so irresponsible. Oh wait, it's me!

The worst thing to do as a royal is to not be punctual. Here I am, 15 minutes late to the meeting already. But I refuse to begin without General McKinney. He's my most trusted advisor, and the only man in this room I would trust with my life. He's the highest honored General in our country, and I've grown up around him since I was a little boy. He's become a sort of father figure to me, and I trust anything he says. The rest of the advisors would turn their backs on me at a turn of events.

I pace back and forth in the front of the room, wringing my hands together. I have no way of knowing when or if General McKinney will be here, but I need to start the meeting soon. I fidget with the sleeves of my suit as I glance at the door. On any other occasion this wouldn't be a big deal but, our country is on the edge of war with the bordering country, Midlands. They've made the first move, they struck one of our southernmost towns on the border. We need to retaliate, but we must be careful about it. My father wants me to lead this, to "prepare for what's to come under my crown" he always tells me. Everything, everything to prepare me to be king.

I've wondered what a normal life would be like. The chance to get a job and spend time with my family, like a normal 19-year-old boy. Instead I'm a 19-year-old boy who has spent his whole life preparing to rule a country, a 19-year-old boy who is leading a war. I'm a 19-year-old boy weighed down by the weight of a crown.

The doors to the meeting room swing open, and I look up expecting the general, as if ushered from my thoughts. Many others around me do the same, and when I gasp, they do as well. For General McKinney is not the one to enter the room, but instead a girl. She has long brown hair, with some blonde in it. She's not that tall, maybe 5'4 with the heels on her boots, and dressed like everyone else in the room, which is unusual because usually only lower-class women wear pants.

Her bright green eyes meet mine, and she falls into a deep curtsy.

"Your highness, Sage McKinney, eldest daughter of General John R. McKinney, who I regret to inform you, has fallen ill."

The words are formal, and well-practiced, but she speaks slow, with a strong southern accent. General McKinney was from the Long Base, on the Southernmost part of Genesia. It's calming, she's sure of her words.

General McKinney's daughter? Here...in council? In his place? I stare blankly at her as a million questions run through my head. I don't let the shock show on my face, but I know I need a minute to sort it out, which I can't have.

This is where my years of council training come into use. I know McKinney has 4 daughters, and this is Sage, his oldest. It's customary for the oldest son in the family to take the father's position in council should he not be able to for any reason. But a girl? There's never been a girl in this room before.

He spoke about it a few times, how well his daughter was doing with training, and what a great general she'll make. How stubborn she is, and how her and I would get along because we're the same in that way. I just never expected her to step up, and I'm worried the lamb has no clue what she's doing in a room full of wolves.

But then again, can I handle this room of wolves alone?

A hand on the small of my back shocks me a bit and I snap back into focus.