Chapter III

~Sage~

The transport is silent as we drive to the palace. It's probably around 3 hours long, but I'm grateful for the time alone, it's a chance to collect myself before whatever the palace has for store for me. It's a smaller military transport, with the driver in the front and room for around 4 in the back area.

Neither the transport driver nor I make any effort to start a conversation. I believe his name is Ward, but he's an older man. He's probably driven my father this exact route hundreds of times. He gave me a friendly smile and introduced himself as he helped me load my bags, but otherwise left me alone. I sit in the back of the transport, with a wall between him and I. I don't mind the silence; it means more space to myself. I stare out the window as my home speeds by, then as we go into more unfamiliar land. We pass wheat fields and rivers, small towns, and larger country houses. I grew up next to the military base in a town called Leden, down in the southern part of Genesia. I've never traveled far from home much, besides on some work trips with my father a few times. But never to the palace.

I lay back against the velvety navy-blue seats, the symbol of Genesia displayed proudly on them. Kicking off my boots, I put them in the corner, then begin digging through my bag, pulling out my dad's 4-inch binder. He's kept a binder with every inch of information he could for as long as he's had the job. It's organized with everything I could possibly need information on. There are battle plans, war preparations, troop movements, leaders and country, weaknesses and strengths, maps and so much more. I open to the section on midlands, studying every detail I can. It's more than I could ever know, even after years of studying. Every single piece of information I'll need is in this binder. I flip through the pages, looking through my dad's notes. Not only is this vital information I'll need, but it's a piece of him I can take with me. As I flip to the back of the binder, I see a note written on the inside of the back cover.

"Sage- I hope this information will help you, everything you need is here, that way when you can no longer come to me for advice, all my advice is right here in this binder. I'm proud of you, never stop being who you are. Don't let anyone tear you down, I don't care what they say, you are the strongest one in that room, always. You're also my daughter, never forget that. I love you

-Dad"

I run my fingers over his handwriting, I don't remember this being here from last time I looked through this. He must've found time to scribble one last message in there. My eyes tear up at his efforts to help me face what's coming, and it starts to sink in a bit what's happening to him.

He isn't gone yet, I remind myself. I can't let myself fall through before he's gone, I need to hold it together, and stay strong, not let on how much this is messing me up. Especially where I'm going.

"Watch your back, anyone can betray you." He used to tell me that, every single day. We would always joke that his next step was to engrave it into my headboard. Now I realize how vital those few words are, it could mean life or death in the wrong situation.

Underneath his little note there's an envelope taped, addressed to Prince Cassius.

"P.S. give this to Cas when you see him. It'll explain why you're there, and how much faith I have in your abilities. He might not believe you at first, so make sure you get this letter to him. Do not, I repeat do not, open it yourself. Get it to him." I take the letter off and tuck it into my pocket, to make sure it goes with me. Then I begin studying, and strategizing, preparing as much as I can before I arrive.

I gaze out the window, my eyes wide as we drive through the capital. I've never been this far away from home before, and I've never seen a city like this one. The tall buildings amaze me, shops, and small cafes on every corner. Richer merchants selling at every stop sign, and people in nice clothes wander around on the street, going about their daily business.

But the city is nothing compared to the palace. I almost gasp as we pass through the iron gates, and I finally get a good view of it. Sandorne Palace is the most beautiful place I've ever seen in my life. We're in Naeville Genesia, almost 700 miles from my home. The palace is a light beige color, worn by years and years of weather, but still looks brand-new at the same time. There are tall glass windows everywhere, and huge columns and staircases. Outside I count over 25 beautiful fountains, and gardens as far as I can see. As Ward drops me off at the front doors, a guard comes out to meet us.

"Identity please?" The guard asks me. I won't be allowed into the palace until I'm cleared, so I hand him my normal town i.d. I'll be given a palace one soon if everything goes as planned, but for now this is the best thing I have.

"McKinney? Any relation to the General?" He asks me as he hand back my I.D.

"I'm his eldest daughter actually. He has fallen extremely ill and will most likely pass soon. I am here to take his place in court." I tell him. He looks skeptically at first, then finally speaks.

"I'm very sorry to hear about your father ma'am. Goodluck in there." And with that he radios into the palace, and the large oak doors swing open, allowing me and entrance. I step inside and a guard greets me right away. He has brown eyes and cropped brown hair under his hat. His face is clean shaven, and he has smile lines by the corner of his eye.

"Ms McKinney?" He asks me, and I nod as I fix my shirt a bit, trying to make myself as presentable as I can.

"I assume you are looking for your way to the meeting room? I understand the meeting was supposed to start 15 minutes ago but they were waiting on Mr. McKinney."

"That would be wonderful, Officer..." I look for a nametag but can't seem to find one.

"Officer Howells ma'am, pleasure to meet you." He holds out his hand and I shake it, returning the smile.

"The pleasure is mine sir." I say as he begins leading me through the palace.

The interior of the palace is unlike anything I've ever seen before. Daisy would be in awe here, she's always loved interior design. The floors and a stained brown hardwood, with deep blue carpets and gold fringe splayed across them. The walls are a grayish-blue color, with white trim. Paintings and portraits cover the walls, and there's tables with statues and other artifacts along the way too. There's pristine cushioned white benches in between these, as if someone just stops and sits randomly around the palace. Everything is clean, and I wondered how many people it takes to keep everywhere in the palace spotless. There isn't a speck of dust anywhere, and all the carpets look vacuumed daily. The halls are mostly empty, besides servants running from place to place, and the guards stationed in various places. Most give me friendly smiles as I pass, or a nod of their heads. I recognize a few of the guards- from the base back home. They were my father's soldiers, and made it all the way to the palace now, a far way from home. Just like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doors to the meeting room were at least 8 feet tall, if I had to guess, made out of a dark polished oak and hard metal detail. The handles were large iron rings, worn by years of use.

Officer Howells had gone back to his post and I stood outside the intimidating doors alone. But it wasn't them that scared me. It was what was inside these doors, when I opened them it would be like opening the next part of my life. No matter how much I trained, nothing could prepare me for this moment.

My stomach did somersaults as I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. Everyone in this room would look at me like I was crazy when I walked in, it's up to me to prove myself. I needed to show myself how I wanted to be seen, confident and strong, like I know exactly why I'm there and what I'm doing.

I tilted my chin up just a bit, and pushed my shoulders back, holding myself the way my father taught me. I closed my eyes and envisioned the "battle" before I faced it, another useful aspect from my training. Last, I cleared my face of all emotion. That was one of the most important things my dad taught me, how to show no reaction or emotion in any situation. No matter what I hear in this room, they don't need to see my reaction to it, and nothing will phase me. It's the biggest thing in a place like this, being easily readable makes you vulnerable. Everybody knows that.

With one last deep breath, I reach out and open the doors.

"Sage McKinney, daughter of General John R. McKinney, who I regret to inform you, has fallen ill. I will be filling in his position." I say the line I've rehearsed so many times as a fall into a deep curtsy, nodding to the prince.