Chapter Twenty-Six

No one eats in a dining room" Clint said as they parked the car on the side of the road. Christine had pretended to listen to their conversation when she couldn't get her mind off Steve's lips on hers.

He rubbed small circles into her waist as his lips moved patiently against hers. She reached her hand up and played the hairs by the nape of his neck. When she rested her hand on his cheek, she could feel him lightly push them closer together. As if the space between them was still too far.

"Christine?" Natasha called, she had her brows raised and the two friends were in the front watching the young woman stare out the window. Her pointer finger was resting on her bottom lip and she had a small smile on her face.

"Hm?" she called. She finally turned her head to see them already staring at her. Natalie wiggled her eyebrows and she scoffed and looked at clint. When she saw the matching expression, she rolled her eyes and hopped out of the car.

They both laughed before following suit.

"Oh, we are so talking about this later" Natasha said. A distant roar called her attention shortly after and she stared in the direction that it came from. Clint looked at his best friend and recognized her admiration and something else on her face. He touched her shoulder.

"There isn't much time."

"So, get your asses to the boat." Nat said and didn't spare a glance before running in that direction.

They both arrived on one of the last boats to depart, many people were already occupying seats. She sat on the furthest chair when she heard a panicked voice.

"Costel? Costel?"

"We were in the market..." The woman next to us tried to explain to a medic. Clint heard the conversation too and proceeded to stand with Christine. Christine raked her eyes over the debris and abandoned buildings. She was looking with no luck, so Clint suggested that they both leave the boat and get a better look. They stepped out the way as more passengers arrived and landed back on the flying rock.

"There he is" Clint pointed out. A small blonde boy climbed from underneath a hole, the covering was camouflaged by a beam that has fallen. Christine stayed back and stayed watch as Clint approached the kid. She watched him grab the small boy and hold out his hand for him to hold as they walked back.

Christine glanced around the perimeter and noticed a jet flying towards them. She tilted her head at the jet before she saw both of its guns disarm and point at them. The breath left her body as she moved to Clint, she ran as fast as she could and pushed Clint behind a shadow shield. She could see how fast the jet was coming so she used the rest of her energy to throw up a shadow shield as large as a small building. Ultron halted the jet and shot at her shadow shield.

"Clint!" she yelled. She could feel herself growing weaker and she struggled to get the words out. "Take him to the boat!"

"What? I'm not leaving you!"

"He isn't going to make it himself! You have to go with him."

"Christine, we can run-"

Ultron continued his assault on Christine's shield and she knew that she didn't have much time before it would drop. Her exhaustion and previous injuries made holding the shield nearly impossible.

"Take him to his mother. Now!" Clint opened his mouth to protest, so she used his shadow to conjure a puppet to push him out of the way.

When she did that, her shield began to weaken and the sound of breaking glass was heard. Christine looked up at the sky and could see her vision begin to darken before she felt intense heat in her side. The impact from the weapon made her fly into the wooden beam behind her and she felt something crack. Her hand went to her stomach and she felt warmth cover her hand. Another source of warmth came from her top lip. When she also touched her lip she saw blood. This blood was coming from her nose.