Chapter Six

"Sokovia."

"Bless you" Christine was reading a book on the enormous couch when Steve walked in. It had been a couple days since she arrived, and it was just a waiting game. While the rest of the team took that time to train, she decided to try and relax.

She also had been getting to know her teammates. They all warmed up to her after a day or so. Tony was less hostile and even joked around with her.He made it a daily task to try and make her laugh. She pretended to be annoyed but she didn't want to admit that it brought a smirk to her face.

Steve took a more subtle approach and brings her a cup of coffee, sometimes.They would sometimes sit on the couch, silently.Small talk was deemed useless with them.

Bruce,Clint, and Natasha would asked her questions about her powers and she would answer. She sometimes trained with them, impresses by their level of skill.

She took in his attire and rose an eyebrow at him. He was already dressed in his uniform and seemed ready to head out.

"Maria has been keeping an eye out for any persons of interest. We just got a hit." He answered

With a nod, Christine stood up. "On who?"

"Strucker"

Christine had no idea who he was talking about, but she trusted Maria. She didn't ask anymore questions and Steve didn't look like he was gonna offer answers.

Grabbing her knives, she followed behind Steve as he lead the way to their jet.Steve pressed a button on the elevator, causing the doors to close. He looked her way with pinched eyebrows. "You sure you don't want to change?"

Christine glanced down her clothes. Her T-shirt and jeans were adorned with her signature leather jacket and combat boots. She chuckled at Steve before sheathing her knives.

"I don't have to get all dressed up to fight"she said.

"What? You don't like the suit?" He placed his hand on his chest, acting offended.

She gave an unladylike snort; Sensing Steve wanted a verbal response, she answered. "It's a little too Star Spangled Banner"

There was a pause before Steve threw his head back and laughed.His laugh was so infectious it even caused her to let out a chuckle.

"I'll keep that in mind" he replied.

The elevator doors opened and they were on the roof. The jets engines were already on and it whipped her hair around. Steve was beginning to debrief her and she strained to hear him. He continued as they made their way to their transportation.

"So, what the hell is the tesseract still doing on earth?"

"It's not the tesseract, it's Loki's scepter" Natasha answered. They were the last ones to arrive.

Christine rolled her eyes. "So, what the hell is Loki's scepter still doing on earth? Didn't Thor zap him back to Bizarro land?"

"We didn't zap anyone! Heimdall brought us back to Asgard and my brother faced punishment" Thor snapped back at her. "And during the New York battle, Loki's scepter was lost."

Another roll of the eyes.No wonder Nick asked her to help, they were the ones who lost the damn thing. She's not surprised that he would leave that out of it. He didn't want to make his team look bad.

He was trying to impress me.

Funny.

~