Chapter One

Christine glared at Fury over the rim of her mug, debating on whether or not she should leave. The thought crossed her mind many times in the few minutes that they had been in the small café.

She looked around at her surroundings. The pale green walls and wood floors would have given anyone a warm feeling. Christine took the time to glance at the people around them, most of them smiling or on their computers. She thought about the times that she would come in here and just sit, trying to soak in the happiness. Trying to forget where she came from, what she did, and what transpired from it. For a moment she would forget.

A moment.

Her grey eyes shifted back towards the man in front of her. The welcoming café a complete antithesis to the cold, distant feeling amongst them. She took the time to examine the man in front of her. Before she left, he had less stress lines and frown lines. He was even able to crack a smile every once in awhile. While she was at S.H.I.E.L.D, Fury and her had grown close. She would find herself in his office many times throughout the day. Often times, it was to annoy him because she liked seeing him frown and start fussing at her, but sometimes she would distress with him after a long mission. Although he was a hardass, she would see him chuckle or smile with her. Other agents used to joke that I was his daughter, even Amilla. She didn't blame them, at some point, they were inseparable. Sitting in front of him now, she didn't see the same joy that he had before. She couldn't even see where those smile lines used to be.

Fury spoke first. "How are you?"

She could tell that he didn't really want to know so she stayed silent. He rolled his eye at her attitude, but he knew that she hated small talk.

She leaned back in her seat, her eyes never leaving him. "Cut the bullshit, Nick. I told you I never wanted to see you again."

He didn't say anything. He just sighed before taking a sip from his black coffee. He grimaced before reaching to the creamer and pouring some in there. She waited for him to finish stirring before speaking again.

"Then you send your errand boy after me. To what? Take me out?"

"I was testing you"

She scoffed. Of course he was. "Did I pass?"

"Barely. You've gotten slower and careless." He took a gulp from his cup of coffee before resuming. "In the past, you would have been able to walk into your apartment and know something was up".

She hated to admit that he was right. After so many years being hidden, she was losing touch with her training. She had gotten comfortable, which was a death sentence when she was an agent. Often times, retired agents would be hunted and killed by Hydra agents because they got too comfortable to stay on their guard. They started families and got civilian jobs, leaving them open to be attacked. Christine swore she would never get that complacent, and yet here she was. Barely surviving an attempted home invasion.

"What's your point, Nick?" She started. "You want me back in for some selfish reason?"

He chuckled and didn't respond, instead he looked out the window. A man passed by, jogging with his dog. She watched him intently as he watched him. She started to grow irritated with the silence and opened her mouth to speak.

"Y'all need anything else?" The waitress asked. She wiped her hands into the apron thag adorned her waist before placing them in her hips. She gave them both a bright smile and Christine briefly returned it.

"Nope, I think we're good." She handed her a 20 dollar bill and told her to keep the change. She graciously took the money before grabbing their trash.

Fury waited for the waitress to walk away before continuing. "You ever heard of the Cuckoo birds?" Christine rose an eyebrow and he took that his cue to continue."They're parasites, they lay their eggs in another birds nest and leave. Letting the bird unknowingly feed a baby that isn't even hers. But of course, she doesn't know. After a while the cuckoo starts to grow bigger, demanding for more food. To the point where the parents forget about their own children and allow them to starve to death. Finally, the cuckoo gets bigger and flies away, to do the same thing. It's all a sad thing really."