Chapter Twenty-Seven

The steady beeping of the heart monitor woke her up with a start. Her eyes snapped open so fast that she got dizzy from the action. Christine blinked a few times to clear away the dry feeling in her eyes. The different sensations making her moan in pain and uncomfortability. When she got the chance to look to her side, she spotted the source of the annoying noise. Her eyes followed the green's line movement. The repetitive movement of the green line was mesmerizing. Taking a deep breathe in, Christine groaned when she felt the gauze wrapped around her waist reject the movement. The itchy material motivated Christine to move her head around the room to get a better look at the hospital she was at. White floors and glass windows surrounded the small room with medical supplies. Christine looked around noticing all the monitors and tables surrounding her.

 On the floor, Christine could see her uniform abandoned along with all her weapons. From here, she could see the blood that dripped from her clothes onto the table. The table, devoid of anything, must have been cleaned up while she was unconscious. Christine could feel where her newly formed skin was mending into the other flesh surrounding it. Dr. Cho must have been feeling good enough to repair her skin when she was brought in. The last time they had seen the doctor felt so much longer than a couple of days ago. Moving her head to the other side, she noticed that IV hanging. A much smaller morphine drip was hanging next to it, waiting for Christine to press the button.

Christine looked next to her hand and she noticed the trigger. She wrapped her hand around It and brought it closer to her face. Her vision was still adjusting, so she couldn't see things very clearly at a distance. That action alone caused her head to pound and the white noise in her ears to become deafening. Christine reached up and rubbed her temple to find some relief. Pushing the morphine drip became more and more tempting now that she was starting to feel more pain. Slight shuffling caused Christine to jump. Her head whipped towards the noise. Steve sat in the chair, head leaned into his palm, asleep. While he was resting, Christine took the time to admire him. He had changed out of his uniform. His hair was wet, presumably from the shower, and he was cleanly shaven. His White T-shirt and Sweatpants was an indicator that he planned to stay here if she was in here. His too large frame filled the chair and she could tell that he was uncomfortable. Christine's corner of her lips tilted upwards. She moved to lay on her side facing him. She watched his chest rise and fall underneath his t-shirt. She watched him for a few more seconds before calling him.

"Steve"

She watched as his eyebrows pinched together and he shifted in his seat. She called him again, a little louder this time. "Steve"

Christine though she would have to speak in a normal volume to wake him up when he blinked his eyes open. His eyes met hers quickly and he furrowed his brows for a second before registering what had cause him to wake up. Steve gave her a small smile before stretching while he stood. His socked feet padded against the linoleum floor as he made his way over. He squatted beside her and placed a hand on her hand. His gentle touch on her making her stomach flutter.

"Hey, how're you feeling?"

She dodged the question."How long have you been here?"

He rolled his eyes and gave a small chuckle. "You're not getting out of that one. Answer the question"

Christine shrugged her shoulders. "I'm in pain, but it isn't anything that I haven't experienced before."

Steve raised his eyebrow. "You've had three broken ribs and a collapsed lung before?" He said in a sarcastic tone.

"Not at the same time." She replied.

"Not to mention the glass in your shoulder, bruises, and a gunshot wound."