Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Christine!"

Steve looked at the woman in front of him, terrified. While sleeping, he heard someone struggling against something. It took him awhile to open his eyes, due to sheer exhaustion. When he did, he noticed Christine seizing in her bed. He called out for the doctor before running to her aid. Grabbing Christine by her side, careful to avoid her injuries, he laid her on her side. She continued to seize and Steve did the best he could  to hold her down. Even with his advanced strength, he had trouble. Her guttural noises broke his heart and he pleaded silently that she would be okay.

"C'mon, C'mon. It's okay, Christine. Help is coming." He murmured while pressing his forehead to her unwounded shoulder. After what seemed like hours, Dr. Cho came running in with her staff. They made some gestures while Dr.Cho's face grew into worry. While taking her stethoscope off, she started to ask Steve questions. Becoming flustered, he answered to the best of his ability. When she asked how long she had been seizing, she grew more frantic.

"She has been seizing for too long, if we don't get her to stop, there will be damage"

Footsteps came closer to the room accompanied by hurried questions. Steve was greeted by Dr. Banner and Tony asking a flurry of questions. Giving them the same answers, Steve watched as they rushed to the bed. Tony grabbing a tablet to read her chart and monitor her heart rate. Dr. Cho instructed on of her staff to draw up a needle filled with some liquid and Steve blanched at the size of it.

"I need you to help me keep her still I have to inject the needle intravenously ."

Steve wordless nodded and gently grabbed Christine. By now, it had been minutes since she started. If not for her enhanced abilities, he was sure that she would be dead. Tony showed something to Bruce with a puzzled look, they both stared at the tablet.

"Dr. Cho. Her brain activity is alarming"

"I'm working on it, Tony" she said while pushing the plunger of the needle. Slowly, Christine's tremors became less violent and her noises of discomfort were filled with soft snores. Steve released his breath that he had been holding. Once again, he rested his head on her shoulder. Laying her on her back, once again, Steve hovered over her forehead. He gently pressed his lips to her slightly damp forehead.

Tony and Bruce glanced at each other again, the same question lingering in their eyes. They exchanged a sly smile before looking at Steve again. His once neatly combed hair was disheveled and he looked like he aged in the past couple of weeks.

"When did that become a thing?" Tony asked.

Steve ignored him and grabbed the tablet from his hands. "What was going on with her brain activity?"

Taking the hint, Banner explained their observations. While Christine was seizing, they saw a shift in her usual brain waves. Instead of them uncontrollably spiking, they slowed down. Either a malfunction in the system occurred or Christine was brain dead for those minutes that she was seizing.

''How is that possible?"

"It isn't."

Steve's confused expression matched those around him. Dr. Cho overheard the conversation and took it upon herself to look at the tablet that Tony was looking at. She used the time lapse below to look at the last six minutes. Tony's conclusions were correct, Christine was experiencing a crash in her brain activity during the time of her seizure. Dr. Cho then looked at her other vitals at that time and noticed the same thing. When she communicated her findings, they all looked onto the tablet. Christine's heart rate dropped along with her blood pressure at that time. Which could have easily killed her, if not for her metahuman abilities. "What happened on the field?"