2.

Freya looked at the one way mirror, "As I said. He froze me in time. It's what happens to my family. We die and become immortal." Freya glanced at the person at the other side of the table. Lark looked at Freya and wrote it down on the notepad in front of her, "I know. My family is the same. Although where I'm from, you don't exist. You disappeared." Freya nodded, "I recognized at the flat. You're Lark Asker. You were a Watcher. However, I'm afraid I can't help you with my disappearance." Lark nodded and wrote something down. She looked back up from her notes and asked, "What happened in Malhain?" Freya turned around, shocked, "How do you know about that?!" Lark put a file on the table, the cream-coloured soft carton held the white paper in place, "The Malhain report on the accident." Freya's face softened and changed into an expression of sadness. She sat down opposite of Lark and sighed, "I'm not Vera. I'm not a criminal. The Gorgon family means nothing to me." Lark nodded, "I know that too. What I want to know is... why did Edward Nygma kill you?" Freya glanced away briefly, "I wanted to find out why he is the way he is. The madness, the darkness. It had to get triggered somehow." Lark stood up with the file in her hand, "Be careful, Freya. That's all I'm saying. Edward Nygma is a dangerous man. Don't get too close." Freya snorted, "I already got quite close to him. I don't need to get closer." Lark nodded and left the room.

***

As Freya opened the door to her flat, it seemed darker than usual. Something seemed off. Freya stood in the doorway, scanning the room with her eyes before turning the light on and walking inside. She closed the door and walked to the kitchen. She filled a glass with water. While watching the liquid rise in her glass, a hand wrapped around her mouth and pulled her backwards. Freya dropped the glass of water in the sink and tried searching for a blunt object to hit the person who grabbed her. As the person let go, Freya turned around quickly and punched whoever it was in the face. Her eyes widened in surprise as she saw Nygma glance down at his broken glasses before softly touching his face. He looked at her, and the first thing Freya said was: "Serves you right! You killed me." Edward frowned, "That I did. So how is it that you're still alive?" Freya smiled, "I have impeccable genes. The perfect genes, in fact. Thank you for setting my heritage in motion." Edward frowned, she was happy he killed her? Freya walked back to the kitchen and grabbed her glass of water. She filled it back up and walked to the couch. She sat down and turned the TV on. Edward looked at her, he sat down at the table near the window and stared at her. Why couldn't he solve this riddle? She was right there, yet he had killed her a day ago. He frowned and tried figuring out why Freya was still alive.

Freya caught him staring at her and said, "If you're wondering... I'm similar to Lark." Edward snorted, that explained everything. But still puzzled him was the fact there was more to her than being inhuman. Freya switched channels on her TV and groaned, "Quit staring at me!" Edward blushed in embarrassment and turned his gaze away. Only to realize he had started to grow soft. Freya chuckled at a scene on TV and to Edward's horror he actually found it adorable. Edward stood up, walked over to Freya, who gasped and looked at him. He grabbed her by her shirt and threw her to the ground, "Stop doing that!" Freya looked at him and frowned. Anger took over, and she walked up to Edward, punching him in the face again. She watched him fall to the ground, and this time he was the one being unconscious. Freya smiled, "That was for trying to kill me, again!" She walked to the kitchen and leaned on the counter.

***

When Freya walked inside her flat the next day, Edward was gone. She had strapped him to a chair last night and had promised herself to hand him over to the GCPD, but now there was nothing to give them.

Defeated, Freya walked to her bedroom and let herself fall onto the bed. She sighed, looked at the ceiling. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

When she woke up, she heard her alarm clock go off. Freya frowned and walked to the window. She opened the curtains and turned around. Only to spot a huge green question mark on her closet. Freya stomped to the kitchen only to see the source of her now ruined closet smiling at her in the living area. She walked up towards him and saw a coffee cup waiting for her and some pastries, "What the hell is this?" Freya asked, pointing at the obvious breakfast. Edward Nygma looked briefly at it, "Breakfast. Your breakfast, to be exact." Freya sat down, "Is it poisoned? Are you trying to kill me again?" Edward snorted, "I have come to the conclusion that if I want to solve the riddle that's you, I had to stop trying to kill you." Freya raised her eyebrows and mockingly said, "No way! Really? I had no idea." Edward rolled his eyes and motioned for her to eat her breakfast. A silence fell in the room, broken by the occasional crunch when Freya bit off a piece of a cream filled pastry. She drank from her coffee and chewed down the last piece. She rose to her feet and wiped her mouth with her hands, "Thank you for breakfast. I should go bow, and so should you. I need to get dressed anyway." Edward rose to his feet again and grabbed her arm. Freya looked at it and when she looked at his face, she nearly screamed. He was so close. His eyes darkened, a small smile creeping on his face, "Why can't I solve this riddle? Why are you the way you are?" Freya struggled to reply as she smelled his scent.

His cologne.

Freya didn't like how it made her knees turn into wax. In fact, she hated it. She put on the best angry face she had and picked up her coffee cup. Edward chuckled, "What are you planning on doing with that?" He asked, his voice lowered. She could actually feel his voice vibrate in her core. She looked him in the eye and managed to say, "I - I - I'm going to hit you with it?" Edward smiled, "Was that a question, miss Gorgon?" Freya tried to keep a distance between them, but failed horribly. She could feel his breath tickle the tip of her nose. Did she smell peppermint? Edward took her wrist in his hand and Freya dropped the cup. Coffee spilled over the table. As he inched closer to her, Freya found it harder to breathe. Her legs were useless now, turning into candle wax. Edward held her in such a way it seemed like they had finished dancing a few minutes ago, "Is there something you want to tell me?" He asked her, and Freya told herself she would go to the gym later today. She had no choice. This wasn't happening. Freya opened her mouth and closed it again. Which caused Edward to chuckle. He found this hilarious! Freya got angry again and pushed him away with all the strength she had. Edward stumbled backwards and looked at her. Freya could feel the tension in the air. It felt like electricity running across her arms and making the small hairs on them stand up right. Neither one of them dared to look away.

A knock brought them back to reality and in a matter of seconds, Freya was in his arms again. A brief kiss on her lips and he was gone. Freya was sitting up on the ground after he dropped her. She rubbed her butt when Lark entered the flat, "Are you OK?" She asked Freya while helping her up. Freya nodded. Lark touched Freya's forehead with the back of her hand, "Do you have a fever? Your face looks flushed." Freya looked at the breakfast and said nothing. Absolutely nothing. While Lark kept asking if she was OK, Freya played the scene in her head over and over again. He loves games and riddles. Freya was the perfect riddle. A riddle he couldn't solve, a game he didn't want to finish. Freya touched her lips absent-mindedly and walked to her bedroom. Locking the door behind her and getting dressed. If Edward Nygma wanted to play a game, she would give him a game he couldn't resist playing. She pulled her shirt over her head and said, "Two can play that game, Edward." She walked out of her bedroom and glanced at the bright green question mark on the closet before closing the bedroom door.