3.

Freya stared outside the window in her living room. She still hadn't forgotten about the short kiss she shared with Edward Nygma. Lark and Jim had been yelling at her because he was getting too close. Freya knew they wanted to protect her, but she was an adult and could make decisions herself. She wasn't a child. Freya looked at the people in the street and a certain figure caught her attention. His walking cane in front of him and his feet slightly pointed outward. Freya stared at him, and the moment he looked up at her, she ducked away behind the curtain. She knew that face all too well. She had seen it at the GCPD. The man staring at her was Oswald Cobblepot. Freya took a peek from behind the curtain, and she now saw two men. The other taller than Oswald. Freya cursed under her breath and darted for the door. She grabbed her coat and purse and ran out. She crossed the street and the first thing she did was yell. She yelled at them, "Why are you here? Are you stalking me?!" Many heads turned, and both men looked surprised. Oswald smiled, "I'm sure Ed and I aren't stalking you at all. In fact, I believe we're watching you because you could be a threat to us." To me, not us. That's what he meant. Freya snorted and looked at Edward, "And you! Don't you ever kiss me again! I hate you! You're a monster!" Freya crossed the street again and walked back into her flat building.

She hung her coat away and put her purse back on the table next to the door. She walked to her bedroom and noticed something on her bed. A note. She read it and ripped it to pieces. She opened her closet door and found an emerald green dress in her closet. She looked at it, stunned he would choose that dress for a girl like her. She closed her closet and walked out.

She sat on her bed and mumbled, "If Nygma thinks I will go dancing with him, he is dead wrong!"

* * *

However, there she was that night. Walking inside the venue for the gala. Wearing the dress she had found in her closet. Freya didn't like the way she looked, she normally didn't choose to wear a dress like this. As she gave a man the black faux fur scarf that actually kept her warm, she walked inside the room, and she could feel eyes burning a whole in her back. She managed to get a glass of champagne and drank it whole in a few seconds. She walked to the side of the dance floor where she drank another glass of champagne in a few seconds. A chuckle from behind her made her turn around. She frowned and said, "Don't laugh at me. You gave me this dress and I hate the dress. I hate you." Edward walked up to her, wrapped one arm around her waist and one hand around the wrist she raised to point at him, "hmm... In a few minutes, those two glasses of Champagne will rise to your head. Making you slur your words. Is the dress that horrible?" Freya nodded, starting to feel light-headed, she groaned softly and regretted those two glasses of Champagne already. Edward led her to a different room. Where a different kind of music was played. Freya smiled and looked at him, "Are you in lo-ove with me?" She said, poking his chest. Edward smiled, "I told you were going to slur your words." He put her down on a couch and gave her a glass of water. Freya drank it and gave it back to him. As he walked away with the empty glass, Freya couldn't help herself but ask, "So it's twue then. You lo-ove me." She giggled and Edward shook his head. Freya simply continued, "I don't lo-ove you. I don't kno-ow you." Edward turned to her, amused by the sight of her. The dress fit her perfectly and the hairstyle suited her. He walked over to her and asked, "Do you want to dance, miss Gorgon?" Freya frowned and crossed her arms. Edward raised an eyebrow and couldn't help but laugh at her response: "It's Freya. Not miss Gorgon." She took his hand anyway, and he held tight but softly while they danced. Freya felt the alcohol leave her body as everything around her became clear again. She stopped dancing and looked at him, her legs turned into candle wax again, and she managed to gain control over those hormones of hers when she pushed Edward backwards softly. He frowned in confusion, "Something wrong, Freya?" Freya shook her head and snorted, "You think I would dance with you? You killed me. You killed Kristen Kringle. Who knows who else you have killed? Why me?" Edward closed the gap between them, dancing with her again while he explained, "Why you? Because you should be dead, but you're not. You wanted the truth, I gave you the truth. Don't give your head little ideas. I don't love you, I want to know you better. Understand you. I don't love you Freya, to me this is all a game." Freya felt like she got shot in her heart. Why did she feel pain when she didn't love him either? If this was all game, then why did he...? Freya looked up at him, "Why did you give me this dress if this is all a game to you?" She tightened her grip on his shoulder and hand. Right on cue, a tango started playing and Freya made her move. Edward looked at her surprised. She smiled at him, "Why give the girl you killed a dress? You don't love her. Besides, I had a different dress that could be worn tonight. Don't you know, that two can play a game if they know the rules?" Edward Nygma was speechless, Freya chuckled. She had won this round, she could feel it. As the tango song ended, so did the dance moves. Instead of Edward holding Freya. Freya held Edward, "See you around, Edward." She dropped him to the floor and walked out of the room.

She walked to the same man who held her faux fur scarf and took a taxi home.

* * *

Freya arrived home. This time she got surprised by Oswald Cobblepot. She nearly jumped out of her skin when he turned on the light that was standing on the table near the window. He looked quite angry, and Freya had no idea why. She sat down on the couch, facing him, and asked, "Why are you here?" Oswald smiled softly, "I want you to stay away from Ed. I don't want you near him anymore." This time Freya snorted and said, "That's going to be difficult since he shows up unannounced most of the time!" Oswald raised an eyebrow, "He won't visit you anymore." He left with his bodyguard, she didn't even notice, standing in the shadows. Freya watched the door close and walked to her bedroom. She zipped the dress open and let it slide down. Walking out of it and putting on some sweatpants and PJ shirt. She put the dress away and grabbed a matching sweater. She pulled the heels off and put on a pair of warm fuzzy socks before walking to the bathroom to pull the pins out of her hair and removing the make-up. She walked back to her bedroom and pulled the socks off, dropping them at the side of her bed. She pulled the covers over her and took the sweater off, throwing it to her feet.

~ ~ ~

Freya walked through endless hallways in a green ball gown version of the dress she wore at the gala. She looked over her shoulders plenty of times, as if someone was following her. She started running, a shadow racing after her. His breathing quickened as she felt fear burn through her veins. She looked at the walls, briefly stopping. The walls were covered with question marks that varied in size. She felt the shadow closing in on her and started running again. She needed to get out of here! She had to! Freya opened the door to a sitting room. No windows and the room was lit by a single chandelier. Freya was trapped. She searched for an exit and saw the shadow standing there. She knew it was grinning. She knew the shadow found this hilarious. She was trapped, she felt like a deer in the headlights. She took steps backwards, and the shadow slit across the floor at immense speed. It pinned her down on the ground, lowering its head. Only to whisper in her ear: "Do you really think you're safe?" The voice was ice-cold and void of emotion. Freya screamed and the shadow disappeared. The chandelier dropped to the ground and the walls closed in on her. Threatening to crush her. Freya screamed at the top of her lungs.

She jolted awake and felt her hair stick to her head and neck. She felt the sweat run down her spine and she tried to calm her breathing. She wiped the sweat off her forehead and got up to grab a glass of water. She emptied it and grabbed a blanket, walking to her couch. She laid down and fell asleep.