CH.3 Stalk Her.

I was tapping on my MacBook for a couple of hours till I finalized all the paperwork for the Elites. I don't like mistakes in my work so as usual I spend a few hours of my work time finalizing and reviewing the projects I operate on. Not a single thing seemed off in the files lying under my hands. We were so ready to open another branch of Elites soon. After a week Elites will be officially booming with loud music and a crowd of rich people enjoying their time in it. That's why I love luxuries; every single effort will be paid double after a single night alone. It's called the rain of wealth.

One last glance at the papers I closed the files. Stretching my back from tiresome reviewing of files I stand up from my place to put the files back in its place. Shelf 3, crystal blue files, file number 3. Right exactly where it should be, organized and pretty.

The only file left on the desk was the opening night's guests list. It wasn't my place to decide about nor I wanted to so I left it for Carl to take care but taking a look won't hurt, right? Since It was the end of the night and the working time was finished I didn't bother to sit behind my desk, instead I kicked off my heels to head toward the sofa on the other side of my office. Sitting on the sofa I released a small sign finding some comfort in the softness of the furniture. After all, it was a tiring day and I needed my bed and some food really badly.

Opening the file in my hand I checked the names from the bottom, the top of the list would definitely be some old businessmen who are some friends and some rivals but they will come anyway. They won't leave any chance to backstab us in any chance they will get in future. Simply fool people with little brains. We're younger than them but not easy players. If they are playing at an advanced level, we are already in the upper notch; our own ultra-advance level, that no one is qualified in yet.

The content of the file was a total of 6 pages with names written on them in the form of numbering. Each page has two columns. "From where did this number of people come from?" I muttered to myself in disbelief.

To my surprise the last names in the list were the older guys instead of younger adults. "Seems like someone changed the order of the arrangement... Fools." Turning the pages back to the first one I started to read but the first name was enough to stop me from going any further.

Carter Kingman. Another idiot between the league of idiots. The last encounter with him earned my dislike toward him. Arrogant and egoistic.
"What Miss Stephan thinks about this?" In a mere second everyone's attention was directed to me. Almost an hour has passed since the meeting started but I didn't hear a single word. It tried to look as concentrated to others but just this one idiot was aware of my inattentiveness.

Ryan was looking directly at me waiting for me to speak like anyone around the table. From the corner of my eye I could see Carl's worried look but I didn't show like I was caught in the spotlight.

A slight smirk grazed the handsome idiot's face who was looking straight to my eyes waiting for me to answer. To not give him the satisfaction he was waiting for I answered him before a minute came to end.

"No personal comments. I respect whatever decision will be taken by my brother."  Kingman was taken back by the coldness in my voice but he didn't let it show much on his face. He was looking calm and collected, shielding whatever running in his mind through that smirk of his.

Looking up from under his lashes he was acting like a mystery volunteering to be solved. By each attempt he was challenging me to find him. He was a lost piece of my memory that I couldn't find. It was the first time I was feeling annoyed, first by myself and second by his attitude. Carter Kingman is going to be a pain in my ass.

Throwing the file on the coffee table, the file slipped off the coffee table. Not making an attempt to pick it up I huffed in annoyance putting my head on the armrest of the sofa I was lying on. Looking up to the ceiling with eyes fixed on the light above my head I was thinking again in hope to be able to place him somewhere in my memory.

What's with this odd feeling?
Why an unknown stranger is getting in my mind.
Who am I frustrated by, myself or him?

"You done?" Carl said, closing the door after himself. Slightly turning my head to my side I spot him near the coffee table, picking the file I threw earlier.

"Why is this file on the ground?" Carl said, showing the red file on his hand.

"It slipped when I put it on the coffee table." Answering shortly, I focused back to the ceiling. It was the most interesting thing at the moment. Carl came to where I was lying, picking up my feet. He sat on the new free space he made for himself, putting my feet on his lap.

"You didn't say anything about yesterday." Holding my feet in his hand he was messaging them lightly waiting for me to reply to his question. I, myself, don't know what to say about yesterday.

"There isn't much to talk about but can you explain..." Putting my legs down from Carl's lap I snatched the file from him, turning the exact page where his name was written. "Which golden crown did he earn that his name is at the top of the special guests list?" Pushing back the file to his face I pointed to the Kingman name.

"What are you doing Angel? I can't see this way." Carl takes the file a bit far from his face to have a proper look.

"Carter Kingman. Well he is one of the guests in the opening ..."

"That I know. I'm not dumb but... why?" Whispering the why to myself I face palm myself at how idiotic I look. "Just forget it." Lying back on the sofa I put my legs back where they were before.

"Be certain. What's really bothering you?" A few seconds of silence to come up with a result, I finally replied with the first thing coming to mind. "I hate strangers."