Part 9- Can I Have This Dance

1.9k words

a/n:
any hsm3 fans?

"A waltz is a dance performed by a couple where they step in triple time to the beat, usually spinning while they rotate around a dance floo-"
"I know what a waltz is, I've seen people do it before," you cut him off, rolling your eyes as you tried not to focus on the warmth of his hand on your back.
"Is that so?" He smirked, letting go of your hand to reach into his pocket. "Then you obviously don't need any practice, I'll just start playing the music."
"Minho-"

He pulled out his phone, quickly opening a music streaming app to find a song from a movie soundtrack. Once he started it, he put it in the pocket of his blazer with the speaker sticking out so the guitar melody could float through the air without obstruction.
"High School Musical 3?" You laughed, ignoring how your heart fluttered as you realized that he knew the song too. "Really?"
"It happens to have a song just for learning how to waltz," he said, tilting his head. "Not that you need to learn apparently."
"You're so annoying."
"And you love that."
"No I don-"

~Take my hand~

"Shh," he put a finger over your lips, silencing you immediately. "The song is starting."
He then gave you a small smile before taking your hand and raising it to your faces.

~Take a breath~

He raised an eyebrow at you, and it suddenly clicked.. You reluctantly took a deep breath as he giggled, watching you play along.

~Pull me close~

Was that always in the song?!

Minho wasted no time in pulling your chest flush to his, eliminating all space(and probably sanity) between the two of you. Dead. He wanted you dead.
Was it silly to hope that he didn't feel how fast your heart was beating?

~And take one step~

Naturally, you looked down at your feet to see which foot he would lead with. He took a step backwards with his right foot, and you followed him forwards with your left. Waltzing was easy, just like you had said.

~Keep your eyes~

Suddenly, Minho let go of your hand and you felt a sharp pain at the top of your forehead almost immediately after.
"Ow!" Your hand immediately reached up to rub the pain away, and only then did it click that he had purposefully flicked your forehead. "Minho what the-"

~Locked on mine~

He shushed you again, then pointed at your eyes and his, waiting for you to understand.
Oh.
I'm supposed to hold eye contact with him, while we're this close?

Waltzing was not easy.

He gave you a small smile, teasing in nature, before taking your hand in his for the millionth time and taking another step.

~And let the music be your guide~

This was difficult. This was more than difficult; this seemed impossible, because while you said you knew how to waltz, you apparently could not waltz with your shaking irises locked on his calm ones, his hands holding you in ways that only appeared in daydreams, and a lilting love song that which you knew the lyrics all too well. Your legs instantly became interested in one another, tripping over themselves countlessly and breaking the flow of the dance.

Minho stopped moving.

~Now won't you promise me~

"Y/n," he said, eyes never leaving yours.
"...yes?"
"Breathe," he whispered, and you closed your eyes and took a deep breath. "Why are you so nervous?"
"Um..." your eyes fell to the ground, tracing the cracks in the concrete as you looked for a believable answer other than the obvious.