Part 10- Flip A Coin

1.3k words

It's been over an hour and your heart still hasn't stopped racing.

Your shoes tapped the floor, your pencil twirled between your fingers, your ears desperately tried to tune into the radio show that was your teacher's monotonous voice, but you couldn't help it. Nothing was stopping you from thinking about what happened on the roof.

Your brain retraced the events in which his chest was pressed tightly against yours, courtesy of his hand that held your back as close as it could, and his other hand whose fingers had become tangled with yours while you were unaware. You hated how you didn't hate the way his palm felt in yours, even worse; you loved it, and you wanted to feel it again. Outside of a dance lesson.

What had gotten into you?

And he had held you so close that you had felt your eyes instinctively flutter, as if you were preparing to kiss him right then.
That thought had your stomach churning and your face on fire, and you cast your gaze downwards to ensure that no one caught your reddening cheeks.

What if you did kiss him?

You knew you were acting crazy in the middle of math class but you didn't care. Radical functions would have to be solved after school.

You peeked over your shoulder at the boy who was swimming in your thoughts, seemingly uninterested(as usual) and watching the cars run down the road below. Your eyes wandered all over his face, resting on the place that made your heart flutter the most.
If he had kissed you back there, it probably would have driven you mad, just like everything else he does-

And you once again regret ever zoning out on his face, because one side of his mouth lifted slightly and you met his gaze to find a knowing stare falling over his irises. He raised an eyebrow, as if to ask "what are you looking at?", but you whip back around in your seat before he could embarrass you any further.

You thought you would be able to escape weird conversation after class, but alas, he always walks you to your next class, and you made it about thirty seconds down the hallway before he commented on your silence.
"Why are you so quiet? I know I'm not boring you," he asked, nudging you with his elbow. You waved him off, shaking your head.
"I'm just thinking."
"You think?"
"Shut up."

Usually, Minho loved your fire-on-fire playful banter, but he wanted to make sure that everything was alright, slowing down before he reached your last class for the day.
"A penny for your thoughts?"
"You can keep your change, I..."

I don't know who I want to ask to the dance anymore.

"Is it something I did?" He asked, a hint of worry flickering through his irises.

Yes.

"No! No, it's um..." you pondered your word choice before speaking. "I'm having trouble picking between two things." He raised his eyebrows, waiting for you to give him the two options, but you shook your head. "I can't say..."
"How am I supposed to help if I don't know what you're talking about?" He giggled, folding his arms across his chest.
"That's why I didn't want to say anything!" You covered your face, and he noticed that you were starting to turn pink. Were you perhaps talking about...

"Hm," he pressed his lips into a thin line before continuing. "Well I'm not sure what this is about, but I always find that when I can't make a decision, I just flip a coin."
"What?" You looked at him like he wore his dress shirt backwards. "Minho, this is seriou-"
"Let me finish," he held up a hand, silencing you. "When you flip a coin, the outcome doesn't matter. What matters is what side you secretly wanted it to land on, right before you actually find out the result. There's a whole deep explanation for it about having to make decisions under a time restraint that small."

Your mouth opened, then closed, you realizing that his little experiment would actually work in your situation.

"So when you get the chance, just flip a coin. But I'll bet you that the outcome won't matter."
He leaned forward slightly, whispering as if he was telling a secret.
"You probably already know what you want."

And with that, he leaned away, giving you a bright smile before turning around and heading to his final class, leaving you slightly flustered in the crowded hallway.

What I want?

...

"Jiyoung!"
"What are you yelling for? This isn't a kdrama final confession scene," she scolded, watching as your out of breath self met her at your locker.
"Do you...have any...coins?" You panted, resting your hands on your knees as you looked up at her. She squinted her eyes.
"I'm not buying you a drink."
"It's not for that!" You whined, and she reluctantly took a quarter out of her locker. She placed it in your outstretched palm, watching as you straightened your bag and composed yourself.

"You're...flipping a coin?" She wondered aloud, seeing you position the metal on your thumb.
"Yes."
"What are you trying to decide?" She paused, then gasped. "Why didn't you ask me for help?!"
"Because I don't think this is something you should help with," you laughed, remembering when she chased you out to the parking lot. Thank god Changbin had been there to save you from her prying questions.

Heads for Hyunjin, tails for Minho.

Jiyoung folded her arms and pouted, waiting for you to toss the coin, and you gulped hard before lifting your closed fist.

You watched as the thin disc flipped in the air, making your heart beat faster with every twist, before you caught it in your palm, slapping the coin to your arm before you could look at it and hope for a different outcome.
As soon as you lifted your hand to see the result, a breath you weren't even aware that you were holding escaped your mouth, and you slid the coin off of your arm and back into your hand.
"Here you go," you said, placing it back into Jiyoung's hand before you waved and jogged past her, running towards the exit.
"Where are you going? You're seriously not gonna tell me what just happened?" She yelled after you, throwing her hands up in defeat.

"I promise, you'll be proud of me tomorrow!"

...

Your sneakers pounded on the concrete, carrying you closer to something you should have done ages ago.
This was it. You were actually going to ask him, you could feel it. The adrenaline rushing through your veins was only proof of how serious you were about doing it this time.

You ran past the track field, past the courtyard, and at the thought that your bus stop was in the opposite direction, you ran even faster, determined to finally finish this task and make it home at a decent time.

He almost missed when you called his name, stopping in his tracks and making his friend give him a knowing look after glancing at you.
"I'll catch up," he reassured him, before turning to face you. His friend continued down the sidewalk, chuckling to himself as he wandered out of your focus.

When you flip a coin, the outcome doesn't matter.

You allowed yourself a few seconds of silence and caught your breath, and he waited patiently for you to speak, assuming that whatever you had to say was important, considering that your bus stop was definitely not anywhere near the coffee shop.

What matters is what side you secretly wanted it to land on.

Before the guilt of not truly taking Minho's advice could eat away at you, you looked up at the boy in front of you and blurted out the words without a second thought.

"I want you to go to the dance with me."

Heads. You wished it would land on heads.

Because asking Hyunjin to the dance is much easier than accepting that you had absolutely fallen for the boy on the roof.