Part 2- Truce

1137 words

Lee Minho.

He sits in the back of the classroom, an uninterested look plastered on his face as the sun smiles on him through the window. The professor's words don't even phase him; he just stares through the glass, watching the leaves slowly fall off the trees. His fingers dance with a pencil on his desk, skillfully twirling it around as if he were a drummer behind the scenes.

He glances up to find you staring at him.

It's funny how he melted into the background, how he just became a part of your scenery for the last few years of high school. Now he's looking at you and suddenly he stands out from the rest of the class, his eyebrow raising up in mild confusion as you realize that you've been caught staring. You turn around and face the professor, trying to tune back into his boring lecture, and you feel Minho look at you for you for a second longer before turning back to the window.

And you leave it at that; staying strangers.

If only that was the case here.

You found yourself staring at that black and white sign the next day, at war with yourself. On one hand, you wanted him to be up there again. He was so intriguing, kind of mysterious, and you never did find out why he was on the roof in the first place, or why that poor pot of zinnias met their demise. On the other hand however, you just wanted a place with fresh air and just enough white noise so you could easily finish your calculus homework that was due next class. And it would be nice to overanalyze the small interaction you had with Hyunjin while you were up there. You didn't need to add anything new into your life.

That didn't stop you from opening the door anyways.

From the top of the staircase, you could hear the faint sound of sneakers hitting the concrete of the roof, along with a song that you couldn't recognize. You pushed the door open and looked around the roof, hoping to see if it was him that would accompany you during the long hour.

It wasn't him.

Someone completely different occupied the roof to the left of you. He was dancing, you were sure of it now because you suddenly recognized the song that was playing. It was BTS's I Need U, and you watched in shock because if you didn't know any better, it could have been Jungkook that was within 20 feet of you. His movements were sharp and powerful, but at the same time controlled and fluid, and it looked like he wasn't even trying as he effortlessly hit every beat. His jacket was nowhere to be found, his sleeves were rolled up, and his necklace repeatedly bounced off his chest like his hair did to his head, although some was starting to stick from the sweat.

Yes; it was Lee Minho from yesterday, but he looked and felt completely different from before.

You were so mesmerized by the sight that you almost didn't notice when he stumbled, then turned off the music from his phone, frustratedly running a hand through his hair as he sighed.

Taking this as an opportunity, you stepped into the light where you could see him, clearing your throat as you did so to get his attention.

"What are you, like a dancer or something?" You plastered on the dumbest grin to your face that you could muster. Minho's lips curled into a smile as soon as he recognized your voice.
"What are you, like a stalker or something?" He turned around to see you leisurely strolling towards him, his hands in his pockets as he smirked at you.
"I'm assuming this is how the zinnias died last time-"
"Whatever happened to "we both go our separate ways?"" He let out an amused chuckle as you drew nearer. "Don't tell me you came up here just to run into me again-"
"Relax," you rolled your eyes, swinging your lunch bag around, "I came up here to eat lunch and you're interrupting the peace."
"I'm pretty sure it's the other way around."

"Are you going to answer my question?"
"Are you going to answer mine?

You both stared at each other, at a stalemate, not saying anything as you squinted at each other. But then out of nowhere, his bubbly laughter cracked through the silence as he looked at your annoyed face.

"This isn't going to work," he chuckled out, running a hand through his hair. "Either one of us needs to leave, we need to mind our own business, or we need to get along."
"Well I'm not leaving."
"Neither am I."

He did a quick 360°, looking around the roof before he pointed to the side opposite of you two.
"What if I stay here, and you go to the other side, so I can't "interrupt the peace"," he suggested, letting his voice drawl out when he quoted you. You narrowed your eyes at him before turning on your heel and walking to the other side, but not before you saw the gauze on his arm, reminding you of yesterday's events.

You stopped and cast a glance over your shoulder.
"How's your arm?" You asked quietly, and you watched how his whole demeanor softened.
"I-...it's a lot better now, thanks for asking..." he was suddenly flustered, surprised at how quickly you turned the conversation around.
"Good," you gave him a small smile before making your way to the other side of the roof.

...

Jiyoung found you before you left school that day.
"Hey!" She said from the end of the hallway, quickly turning to grab your attention before you left your locker.
"Hey Ji," you grinned, slamming the locker shut as she ran up to you.
"Sorry I missed you yesterday," she tucked a stray lock behind her ear, "Mr. Kim had the bright idea of keeping us a few minutes after the bell." You shook your head, dismissing her apology. "Did you end up eating with Hyunjin???" she asked with sparkly eyes, awaiting your answer.

"You must forget who you're talking to," you burst out laughing, watching her roll her eyes. "Hyunjin doesn't see me; I actually met someone else during lunch."
"Oh?" Her eyes went wide. "Who?"
"Lee Minho," you whispered, and watched how confusion bloomed across her face.
"Doesn't ring a bell," she shook her head, and then the familiar mischievous look lit up her face again.
"Is he cute? She nudged your side and you playfully shoved her.
"Is that all you ever think about?" You smirked at her.

"You're not answering~" she sang out, and you couldn't help but roll your eyes at her romantic antics.

Yeah, he's kinda cute.