Chapter 11: Closer

Update✔

Please ignore any typos. I plan on doing a major edit after I finish the book.

BOOM CHAKALAKA!

Chapter 11: Closer
---------

The bell rang signalling lunch was over a few minutes ago but I couldn't find it in myself  to go to class, and I guess neither could Jared because he still sits silently next to me. I don't think I could get up even if I wanted to, I am so tired. The thought of all those eyes staring at me after what happend at lunch has me wanting to curl up and sleep it all away. I unclench my clamy hands from the fists they were forming and lay them palms down on the floor trying to cool off.

Jared hasn't said anything since he refused to leave me alone. I can tell he wanted to say something every time he turned his head towards me, but in the end didn't say anything. So I did.

"I burnt my house down," I confess. No use in hiding it any longer.  "Not on purpose. Not that it matters whether I did or didn't now anyways."

I feel a chill make its way around my body almost instantly after I say it. I know Jared wanted answers ever since the day he walked in on me in his mother's office, he's wanted them. Maybe that's the reason he's here now. For answers. Well, lucky him, now he has them.

I think back to that nightmare in the cafeteria, all the flames, the bodies. Everyone was dead. Everyone was burning, except for me. I was alive. Why was I alive? Why did I dream of that?

"Shhh," I feel a warm arm slip it's way around my waist. "Don't cry."

I'm crying? Almost instantly I taste the salty tears sliding down my face, I feel them on my cheeks. I can't help it. I try to stop them but I can't. They continue to flow freely until I'm full on sobbing.

This must be attractive.

Jared pulls me against him making my whole body tense momentarily, but a second later I find myself molding into him and letting him hold me . He feels so warm and fimiliar to me and I allow myself, in this moment of weakness, to just let go. I allow myself to grieve for my old house, for the things I've lost and for the friend I left behind, for the burns on my body. I cry for all the small things that most people wouldn't care for and that stupid nightmare I just had. I hate crying, I really do. But these days I can't seem to do anything but. I need to pull my shit together right now.

  I feel him push a strand of hair away from my face then trail his fingers down my cheek to my chin leaving my skin tingling beneath his touch. This position is way to intimate for my liking, but I can't seem to pull away from him. He tilts my chin up gently so I'm looking at him.

"What matters, is that you are okay," his gaze is so intense I almost have to look away to gather my berings. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought a complete stranger,  well maybe not complete stranger, but Jared, who ever he was to me, would be the one to comfort me.

Out of the silence I hear a low grumbling and realise it was my stomach reminding me I didn't have lunch. I see Jared's lip twitch upwards into an amused smirk.

I look away a little embarassed that that just happened, my cheeks most probably tinged the slightest shade of pink.

I feel a presence above my hand before it is grabbed. Jared stands in front of me now, his large hand engulfing mine making it look like a childs in comparison to his own. I feel warmth and tingles start to spread around my body by the simple contact. He holds his other hand out to me to take, but I hesitate.

"What are you doing?" I ask him. My dull brown eyes finding his which are dancing with mischief.

"We're going to get you something to eat," He says, wrapping his hand around mine and pulling me up from the floor effortlessly.