Chapter 10: Fear

Update....Finally!

Enjoy.

Not edited (fully)

Chapter 10: Fear

---------

It must have been around one in the morning when I started to feel discomfort on my left side. The burning sensation was light, but it still had the ability to wake me up. Slowly I get out of bed and shuffle through my bag for the pain medication.

I grab one and walk into the washroom, because yes, I did find one yesterday walking around while talking to Carter. I pop the pill in my mouth and dip my head down bollow the running fauset. I gulp the pill down then turn the nob of on the tap off.

When I look up I see a faint reflection of myself in the mirror. The moon's light shinning through the window onto the tiled floor below my feet.

I realise now in this moment that I haven't changed my bandages for a few days. I'd like to say it slipped my mind, but I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't avoiding changing them.

That's me.

Avoid-er of the inevitable. In more ways than one.

I grab the end of the white gauze from the lower left side of my stomach and peel it from my skin carefully. The tape is sticky and stubborn. I wish I could just rip it off quick like when I was a kid, but even I know, that unless I want everyone sleeping in this house to hear me, I should probably keep this tortoise speed, because you know, slow and steady wins the race right? I takes a few more tugs, but finally in peels off.

I release a breath I didn't realise I was holding in and open a drawer beneath the sink, searching for a bandage Mrs. Wells or Anne, said should be here.

When I'm done repeating the same on my arm I go and lay back down in bed. I toss and turn trying to find a comfortable position, however that doesn't happen. I wait and wait a little longer until I can't take it anymore. I throw the covers off in frustration and stand before the bed.

In my frustrated state I decide to go downstairs to the kitchen. My legs are still half asleep so I go and sit on a stool before I fall down. Ever since I was a child, every time I couldn't fall asleep I would go somewhere else in the house and try to fall asleep. Whether it be a couch, a stool or even the floor, I'd lay down and see if I could fall asleep. My father would always be the one to find me in the morning and carry me back upstairs to my bed. However, right now I'm not planning on konking out on the Wells' kitchen island.

I lay my head on my hand and stare out the door to the backyard. The woods surround the whole exterior of the Wells' house. It's beautiful. It's dark. No matter how many times I will see it, I don't think I'll ever get over this view. I hear crickets coming from outside the windows.

I decide now in my half asleep state to go sit on the deck. I crack the patio door open and step out into the night. I let the sounds of the wilderness envelop me as I sit on one of the old wicker chairs they have out here. The wind wooshes overhead causing the trees the sway back and forth together. When they stop the back yards grows quiet as the silence takes over. I barely hear the crickets anymore as I lay my head back against the chair and pull my legs up close to me. My eye lids begin to droup and I feel my breathing start to grow sparcer the longer I allow myself indulge in this peace. Truthfully I don't think I've ever felt this tired in my life, my bones feel as if they grown denser.

I hear a crack come from in front of me, but I'm too tired to even open my eyes. I hear another one, louder this time and a low grumbling. This has my full and undevided attention.

I'm frozen in my spot right now, but I'm not letting this go. I try and focus on where the sound is coming from and I hear the sound again. Then I see them. A pair of eyes glaring back at me. Staying still, staring. I feel a knot in my throat and I don't even threaten to take a breath.