Chapter Eight

The clock was ticking.

All Might sat in front of Midoriya, no words leaving his mouth and simply... staring.

Watching him.

The air that hung above them was tense, and with every second that passed without the man speaking made Izuku wonder how much longer they'd be sitting here.

He started counting a few minutes after they took a seat.

All Might on one side of the couch, Izuku opposite to him, only a coffee table separating them.

He gulped.

The silence was unsettling.

(—49

50

51—)

He didn't know which was more unnerving, the hawk-like eyes watching his every move, or how much had changed between them in such a short period of time.

Or was it them who stopped pretending to be something they weren't?

(—59

60—)

Another minute went by without speaking.

Now it was a whole seven minutes, Midoriya counted every second.

He willed his hands to hold still, to keep them from wringing together or cracking the knuckles in an attempt to suppress showing his anxiety.

All Might was... had been his mentor.

All Might had been his hero.

The reason he wanted to save people.

... was he still all that?

The clock kept ticking.

The silence remained.

What had he even done the past half year?

He lived his whole life, trying to become a hero like All Might.

He met him, he trained with him, he got his quirk, he made it into U.A., he continued f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ o̶u̶t̶ o̶n̶ h̶i̶s̶ o̶w̶n̶ training with him.

He had been blind.

The accusation and interrogation had opened his eyes.

(— All Might wasn't who he thought he was, his training methods had been so wrong but he'd been too blind—)

Suddenly, he wasn't looking at himself and seeing a person he could have been proud of anymore.

He saw h̶i̶s̶ m̶e̶n̶t̶o̶r̶.

He looked in the mirror, and All Might's smiling face greeted him instead of his own.

Half a year went by already, and what had he done?

Let himself be poured into an All Might shaped mould.

From the very beginning, nothing had ever seemed to go right, luck had never seemed to be on his side. Ever since All Might gave him that strand of hair with the words 'eat this', everything only seemed to get worse, worse and worse.

And he'd been too damn naive to realize that what the man was doing was harming him both mentally and physically.

He'd broken his bones the first time he used A̶l̶l̶ M̶i̶g̶h̶t̶'s̶ his quirk.

Still continued breaking them.

(—he'd achieved absolutely nothing—)