01| See You Soon

"What do you mean I can't go?!"

Makarov sighed at the pink haired dragon slayer. He knew this would happen. How could it not? He's just denied the boy his chance to become an S-class wizard this year.

"I'm sorry Natsu. I truly am. But you can barely even stand properly."

As if to prove his point, Natsu stumbled back a bit, before catching himself on a table. He looked as though he was about to protest again before he was interrupted.

"NATSU!"

Natsu froze for a second at the voice, and the tone said voice was using, before regaining his confidence.

I can't back down right now! No matter what!

He growled lowly in frustration, before he looked towards the Requip mage headed his way.

"Natsu. Stop this. Now. Master said you cant compete this year. That's final. I'm sorry."

Everyone watched waiting to see how the pink haired mage would react to this. To their surprise, a tear slid down his face. He lowered his head and growled.

"I HAVE TO GO! THIS IS MY CHANCE! PLEASE, COME ON GRAMPS! I PROMISE I-"

Before he could continue again, a large fist slammed down beside him, silencing him.

"Enough Natsu! I said no! The answer is no, and it will continuing being no! You are to stay here! In the recovery room, doing just that- recovering! Am I understood?!"

Everyone stood shocked.

That was rough

Natsu looked down again. His shoulders started to shake some, before they noticed the tears falling to the floor.

Natsu was crying.

Natsu clenched his fist to his side, then took off- sorta, he wasn't exactly going his fastest. He refused to look at any of them as he ran by. He left the guild, ignoring the calls and shouts for him.

Happy tried following him, only to be stopped by Mira, who looked solemnly after the boy.

They felt bad, of course. But what could they do? Natsu was to injured to fully participate to the best of his abilities, and to stubborn to listen to any of them. At least, most of them.

Perhaps there was one person who could talk some sense into him. Make him see things more clearly.

________

Lucy had been sitting at the bar when Natsu took off.

She felt extremely bad for the slayer. From what she had heard, this was a big deal for him.

But now that opportunity was gone.

She watched as Natsu tried to convince Master to let him go. She saw him shake, she saw the tears go down his face. All she wanted to do was to go up to him, hug him, and tell him it would be ok. That there was always next year, that they can train together, get stronger. But she sat there, just watching.

Of course, no matter what, Master wouldn't budge. She had already known he wouldn't agree to letting him go. He was to hurt.

So when he kinda ran out the guild- how did he-?- she wanted to chase after him. She wanted to call him stupid and an idiot, for not resting. She wanted to console him, tell him it would all be ok, more then anything though.

Of course, none of this was for romantic reasons, they were just friends after all. She didn't think of him that way. Not even when he snuck in her bed, back pressed against her- wait hold up-! where did that even come from?!