Chapter 6

"Oh my God. It's the torsos of their victims.. Jessie we have to do something!" I said.

"Are you asking me to save zoms?" She said.

"I... well" I couldn't find the words to say.

"Time to go Ari." Jessie said and started walking away.
I grabbed her hand and forcefully made her turn around.

"Where are you going, what the fuck is your problem!?" I said angrily.

"....Let go of my hand Ari.." Jessie deadpanned

I quickly let go

"It's time to show you what I do out here Ari."

"Well why don't you do something NOW." I said

"I could go back there and stop them easily, but what good would it do?" She said

"You think they're the only ones like this? There is no law out here. Killing zoms is what bounty hunters do." Jessie finished.

"That.. that's not killing, what we saw was sick and twisted" I said.

Jessie turned around and walked away.

"Come on, time for you to understand the family business."

——————————————————————————-

As we were walking to.. wherever the hell Jessie was taking me, I couldn't stop thinking about what we saw.

"I can't stop thinking about something." I said

"What is it?" Jessie asked.

"Why didn't those bounty hunters just cut off the zoms heads?" I questioned

"Because they have to prove their kills in order to collect the bounty, they cut their heads off in front of a bounty judge." Jessie said

"How come I never heard of this?" I asked.

Jessie scoffed. "Because bounty hunters only tell their bullshit heroic stories."

"You keep saying that bounty hunters are so terrible. So why are you one?" I asked her.

I notice Jessie become visibly angry at this question.

"I'm not like those.. those imbeciles. And trust me, there are worse things than what you saw today." She spat.

"..Like what?" I asked hesitantly.

"A lot of things. Gambling on pit fights for example. Bounty hunters throw people, kids most of the time into a pit." She said

"If they're lucky, they'll get a knife, or a rock or a sharp stick. Then, they throw a zom in." Jessie continued.

"Sometimes the kid wins... sometimes they don't. But the gamblers pull in a fortune either way. Bastards." Jessie said angrily.

"Where do the kids come from?" I asked.

"Some are forced, others volunteer for it."

"Volunteer?" I said astounded. "That's bullshit."

"No. It's not. Remember your aunt Linda? Before she died of cancer?" Jessie asked.

"Of course I do. She was the best."

"If I hadn't been around, what would you have done to get her the right medicine." Jessie said.