Chapter 31: Jealousy

"We're going together, right?" Natasha called cheerfully from the doorway as I stared at my reflection in my bathroom mirror.

"Of course, we are, dumbass," I called over my shoulder, doing the 20th finishing touch on my makeup before I turned my attention to my hair.

"I'm going to go get ready – don't burn the house down with that curling iron, Winter." I scoffed and half-heartedly threw a makeup brush at her.

"Hardly my fault that your hair just happens to be perfect all the fucking time," I grumbled. Natasha chuckled playfully as she exited my room, heading towards her own to change. A soft knock at my door an hour later, and I chuckled lightly to myself. "Since when do you knock, Romanoff," I called towards the door. I walked over in surprise when it didn't open, only to find Wanda on the other side, hand raised as if preparing to knock again. "Wanda. Hi." I stared at the brunette in front of me, shuffling my feet. Wanda was relatively new, but I couldn't quite stop staring at her – a trait that Natasha immediately picked up on and teased me for relentlessly. She kept goading me into asking the witch out, but I hadn't found the right time. Wanda blushed as she looked me over, her green eyes finally fixating on mine.

"I just wanted to see if you wanted to go...with me...to the party..." she mumbled, her face turning as read as her powers usually were. Not that she was the only one. I started flushing immediately upon realizing that it was her at my door, and not the redhead I was expecting.

"I'd love to," I smiled, offering her my arm in a grand gesture. She smirked and linked her arm with mine, resting her small hand on the inner side of my arm. We walked to Tony's party together. An hour later, and my best friend still hasn't made her appearance. I excuse myself from Wanda momentarily, making my way down to the training room once I realize that Natasha is not in her room. I find her, covered in sweat, currently beating the shit out of a punching back. She notices my arrival, but continues to hit the heavy bag, pivoting away from me. I sigh and approach her cautiously, grabbing the bag from the other side and steadying it so she can land her blows harder. "What's going on Natasha?" She swiped at her forehead angrily, shooting me a look beneath a scowl. I frowned. "Seriously. What's up?" I pushed my shoulder into the bag, refusing to give her any more leeway without talking to me. She sighed, unwrapping her gloves with her teeth before pulling them off and tossing them angrily onto the bench beside her.

"It's fine, Winter." She grumbled, drinking deeply from a water bottle, trying to catch her breath. I sighed, coming up behind her and placing a hand gently on her shoulder. She tensed under my touch, but quickly relaxed. She turned around, sitting on the bench, gesturing me to sit beside her.

"Want to tell me the truth, Natasha?" I asked softly. She smirked slightly before shaking her head.

"It's stupid," she grumbled, masking it with a low chuckle. I just quirked my eyebrow at her, waiting for her to continue. "I thought we were going to Tony's party together." I frowned, recalling our earlier conversation, and my eyes went wide.

"Shit! Nat, I'm so sorry!" I immediately felt guilty. She smirked.

"But it looks like you finally asked Maximoff out," she elbowed me lightly in the side and I laughed.

"She asked me, actually," I admitted ducking my head. Natasha ruffled my hair.

"Well, I'm happy for you, Kasey. Honest." I smiled and wrapped my arm around her shoulder before pulling away and crinkling my nose.

"You stink," I grinned, shoving her away. She huffed and pouted at me. "Go take a shower and then you'd better not leave me at that party without you." She smiled, standing suddenly and pulling me to my feet as well.