Chapter 5

Song: Do I wanna know? - Arctic Monkeys

***

"Rosemary, come on, I'm fucking dying over here!" I pant, hunched over and hands on my knees trying to catch my breath.

"No!" she laughs at me, "Keep going, come on, get that leg up!"

For fucks sake.

This has been going on for over an hour now.

I'm up on the stage in the V.I.P tent, dressed in...well nothing really, I didn't have any clothes that would work the dancing but luckily there were heaps here that I could borrow.

Right now it's nothing flashy, I'm just in a black cotton bralette with high wasted underwear, matched with a pair of black heels. Rosemary said I need to get to 'having my bits flying around everywhere'

I figured why the hell not.

Rosemary and Charlotte are sitting at the table that sits right at the front of the stage, they've been there all morning; cheering, yelling, directing and teaching me the dances for the show...I have to dance in the next town.

I'm kind of shitting bricks over it, but it should be fine, I don't have to be good good, just good enough to keep the job.

Last night was stupid of me, I can't let myself fall into the trap of the circus, I mean that's literally what it does right? It sucks you in, making you feel at home and happy, it makes you feel like you're in another world.

Well fuck off circus, you won't trap me, you bastard.

I need to treat this for what it is, a job. I can't let myself get close to these girls, for the simple fact that it takes focus from my work, but also because I don't want to ever hurt anyone, I already feel guilty enough coming into someone's home essentially and snooping around.

And it doesn't help that everyone here is so fucking nice, especially these girls.

I woke up this morning to Charlotte and Rosemary sneaking back into the cart with yogurt and fruit for me, they said they didn't wanna wake me so they thought they would bring breakfast back to me.

See what I mean...fucking sweethearts.

After I ate as much as I could while being riddled with guilt, Rosemary was quick to say we were coming here to train today and I had to push the excitement away.

So we made our way to the tent, the grounds don't open for people for another few hours, so we don't have to worry about people coming in here while we're dancing.

We're still in Berrima- my hometown- so I'm soaking up all the homey feelings I can before we head on the rails tonight for the next town.

It's actually really nice here during the day, there isn't a bunch of people here to fill the ground with noise, but it's hardly dead at all.

There is music everywhere, all different kinds, as soon as you slip far enough away for the music to fade out, a different song fills your ears.

There are people set up outside their carts with record players, some with guitars, some with harmonicas, and so many people are signing, this place is full of life.

As well as that, there are people all around the place, people are setting up their game stalls, there are people cooking food getting ready for the crowds, and there are people all over cleaning the place of rubbish or debris from the night before.

All over the place, people are practicing their acts; magicians creating the impossible, trapeze artists hanging off of any surface they can, fire breathers spitting flames into the air, I could also hear the distance sound of roars from a huge tent at the back of the grounds.