Chapter 6

Song: Sympathy for the devil - The Rolling Stones

***

Surprisingly enough, it is hard to sleep on a moving train, who the hell would have guessed?

I got hardly any sleep, but the girls told me that was normal for the first few nights and that I'll get used to it.

It was just constant rattling and shaking all night, not to mention some people would walk through the cart in the middle of the night.

I have no idea how Rosemary and Charlotte manage to sleep on the two bottom bunks, I'd imagine it would be louder down there but they sleep like logs.

But being awake all night gave me time to think about yesterday.

I want and watched the girls show to get more of an idea of what I have to do on stage, I stood at the back of the room with Arthur again, but this time, as much as I was watching the girls, I was watching that Harry guy.

I know I said I was going to avoid him, but last night after the first hour of trying to sleep I couldn't get him out of my head.

The way he acted, he seemed so sure of himself that he oozed status but he didn't feel the need to flaunt it, and despite holding himself like he was above other people, he didn't act like it, he was respectable.

I wonder what he does around the circus?

He obviously has money, no one can afford those suits and all that bloody jewellery he wears without it.

He also has some sort of importance here because he and his table are the only people allowed to take guns into the V.I.P tent.

But then again, Arthur takes a gun in there and so does every guy that works here, maybe it's just for the protection of the other people that work here.

I planned to avoid him simply because the way he looked at me was like he really saw me, like if he wanted, he could look right through me.

But I can't let that stop me, I need to get to know as many people as I can while still managing to not get too close to anyone.

And Harry- all of those guys, not just Harry, they all seem like people that could know a thing or two about what is going on in this place.

After the second hour of trying to sleep, I realised that I can't expect to figure anything out if I'm treating this simply like a job, I need to act like I belong here, I need to let myself slip into this world so I can figure it out from the inside out.

After the third hour of trying to sleep, the nerves set it.

I realised how real this is, and the fact that we were moving out of my hometown was even scarier, if anything was to happen, I wasn't at home, I wasn't around people I love, it made it all seem a lot more real than it was when I was still at home.

But now, I'm on the tracks and there's no going back, I have to commit.

By the time the train stopped in the new town it was almost daylight and had only maybe an hour or two of sleep.

The noise of the train stopping woke Rosemary up and she had a quick little conversation with me; telling me that she and Charlotte will stay quiet in the morning and if I don't wake up in time for breakfast, she will bring me some food for when I do wake up.

She really is a saint.

She didn't end up having to do that though, I woke up maybe ten minutes ago to an empty cart so I assumed they were still out eating breakfast.