Chapter 5: Prelude to a Mission

- Three months before the Traveller arrives... -

With Ei personally giving her approval to (Katsuo) to make the perilous journey to the abandoned island of Tsurumi, preparations went into full swing in the Kujou Encampment in Kannazuka Island. Elements of the Shogun's army as well as shrine maidens from the Grand Narukami Shrine were mobilized for the daunting task of the rediscovery of Tsurumi Island after such a long time of abandonment as well as rescuing an old friend. For months, the task force trained for every scenario imaginable and (Katsuo) returned to the Grand Narukami Shrine from time to time to replenish at least a portion of his energies as his own preparation for the mission.

There is nothing taken for granted.

In the front lines, the civil war has reached its peak. Violent battles raged along the islands of Kannazuka and Yashiori, but this was of no concern to (Katsuo), at least for the moment. While he isn't fond of Kujou Sara and of the Kujou Clan as a whole, he respected her capabilities as the general of the army and believed that she can push the rebels back by herself. For now, he has his own mission to fulfill not just for him, but also for Ei.

Today, he is making another visit to the Grand Narukami Shrine, specifically to a mutual friend who has been helping him in his quest to find his love. He is here to give her his thanks for whatever secret act that helped him recover a tiny fraction of his old powers, but also voice his uncertainty on the mission. Walking through the shrine grounds, he found Yae Miko in front of the Sacred Sakura, seemingly already anticipating his arrival. He walked up the steps as Miko stood on top, waiting for him.

"Welcome back, (Katsuo). I trust that your conversation months ago was fruitful?" Miko asked him as he walked past her and stood in front of the Sacred Sakura.

"You ask me that as if you already don't know." (Katsuo) remarked and Miko laughed in response. "I don't know what you did to me in those times I visited here, but I felt my powers recover every time I come to you. Some thanks are in order." He said to her and Miko looked at him.

"Why, you're welcome, (Katsuo). I actually thought you wouldn't have noticed at all." Miko replied while putting her hands on her waist. (Katsuo) shook his head in amusement.

"Hard to do that when I noticed that it has become slightly easier for me to access my true form." (Katsuo) said to her.

"Haha. Well, alright." Miko mused. "Although... I fail to see what is your reason for your visit to me now. I'm guessing that you're here because you are still uncertain that you will be able to find and save her, aren't you?" She correctly guessed and (Katsuo) averted his eyes to the side.

"You know me well." (Katsuo) remarked, implying that she guessed right. Miko chuckled.

"But both of you are waiting for each other, are you not?" Miko said to him as (Katsuo) took out Chiyo's clan amulet. "You said that she knows that you are finding her and that both of you will wait for as long as it needs."

"I know that I said those things, Miko. It's just that..." (Katsuo) trailed off, clenching his hand holding the amulet. "It's just that I'm not sure if I can save her when I do find her. Can the corruption still be purged?" He questioned and Miko looked at him as if he's crazy.

"Really now? This is the first time that I have heard you speak in such a dejected way since four hundred years ago." She retorted.

"Four hundred years. You really are counting, huh?" (Katsuo) commented.

"You forget that I am a fox envoy. My memory is much clearer than you realize." Miko replied to him.

"Still, I can't shake off the feeling of uncertainty. I don't know if she still has the power to resist the corruption." (Katsuo) said.