Chapter 19: Smoke and Darkness

- Later that day... -

Chiyo brought Ei, Aether, and Paimon towards a location at the foot of Mount Yougou based on Ippei's description. After that, Chiyo excused herself and bid them a safe journey through the hideout that they found. The oni maiden is still worried about (Katsuo) and his extended absence isn't helping at all.

She decides to find him, starting by heading up the steps into the Grand Narukami Shrine where she thought (Katsuo) may be in after he declared his intention about questioning Miko. As she did, she came across Omura off all people. She waves at him to catch his attention.

Having noticed Chiyo, Omura gives her a bow. "Greetings, Lady Chiyo. Is there anything I can help you with?" He asks.

"Greetings to you, too, Omura. Is your master at the shrine right now?" Chiyo asks Omura who shakes his head.

"I'm afraid not, Lady Chiyo. I just left the shrine and I didn't see Master (Katsuo) there." Omura answers, much to Chiyo's confusion.

"What? Where did he go?" Chiyo asks him, practically demanding the answer.

"W-We're not sure, but he was heading east the last time we saw him when he jumped down from here." Omura would answer her question.

What could he be planning to do?

Chiyo's expression turns serious. (Katsuo) wouldn't leave like that without a good reason. Her mind wandered to the sword he wields, Kazemoya and thinks that it might be the reason for all of these. (Katsuo) must be stopped, whatever the terrible thing he might do. He must be in danger now... or he is the danger, she thinks to herself.

"Omura, find your fellows. Follow your master, tail him, and keep him from doing anything brash." Chiyo sternly instructs Omura who blinks at her sudden suggestion and serious tone.

"W-What? Why should we tail him?" Omura asks her, confused and concerned.

"Look, I can explain later, but right now, there is no time to lose." Chiyo says to him. Although she said those words, she decides to briefly explain what she meant anyways. "Your master might not be himself when you see him again. There's something going on with Kazemoya." She tells him, surprising the young enenra. "Kazemoya might be doing something to him. If you can, disarm him and get the blade out of his reach."

"But, we can't hope to fight him, Lady Chiyo! Even if we team up, he's far too powerful!" Omura says to her, worried and unable to believe that Chiyo is giving them such an outrageous instruction.

"I know, but all you have to do is get Kazemoya as far away from him as possible. You don't have to fight him directly." Chiyo tells him. She looks back at the entrance of the shrine, remembering her original intention in coming here. "Omura, see what you can do. Bring your fellows with you and catch up to (Katsuo) as soon as you can. I will catch up with you once I am done here." She instructs him again. Though Omura is still skeptical, he is now worried about the wellbeing of their master and agrees to help out.

"Understood. Once I have gathered the other three, we'll set out immediately." Omura says to Chiyo. He bows to her before leaving to fetch the other three disciples.

Chiyo watched him for a moment before entering the shrine. Unbeknownst to her, she is about to see something that she will never expect at all.

Stepping into the central area of the shrine, she finds Yae Miko speaking to a shrine maiden with noticeable white hair. However, Chiyo is quick to notice that the shrine maiden in white has ears and a rather fluffy tail reminiscent of those of kitsune. No. The woman is no simple shrine maiden, especially since there is a comforting aura that the oni maiden felt when her eyes looked at her.