Chapter One (2): And Rewind

Warning from the Author: In this, uhm - Steve and Peggy are in an open marriage, Steve and Bucky are kinda in love.

Disclaimer: Peggy may be OOC, but this is because in this AU, she has fully accepted her bisexuality, and is a gay mess despite her stoic persona. Because, I headcanon that Peggy is someone who has a lot going on in her mind but does not let anyone know about it and Dottie is one of the only people who can tell that there is a lot going on in Peggy's mind and can read her easily.

PEGGY CARTER was confused. There were a lot of things she was confused about in her life. Why she kept thinking of Dottie when she was with Steve. Why Steve seemed a lot closer to Bucky than normal best childhood friends reunited by war should be. Why Dottie ran with no warning. Why Dottie did everything she did. Where Dottie was. She could probably keep listing off her questions and never run out but it all centered around one person.

Dorothy "Dottie" Underwood, or Kalina Rachckova. A Red Room Agent, a Black Widow. A Russian spy.

One woman was to blame for all the turmoil that Peggy had in her life, as of now, she didn't feel the love she once felt for her husband. She could not stop thinking about blonde hair, dark hair, pale blue eyes, fair skin, that sweet voice.

She looked to the papers in her desk, the start of her research about the Red Room. Heavily guarded piece of information as it was, she never got more than what she has now and she only has these files - of Dottie's real name, a picture of young Dottie, because Dottie stole it for her. Dottie also took some of her files before giving it to Peggy.

She rereads the files she has on Dottie stolen for her by Dottie, and the other files of Dottie that she and S.H.I.E.L.D have accumulated, about her possible whereabouts, whatever they could gather of her old missions. Whatever they got out of Dr. Faustus.

There still wasn't much, and it wasn't enough - not to find Dottie or get any more answers about anything.

"Okay," starts Steve, "what's up with you? It's been 4 years and you still haven't said anything. I've become worried about you, Peggy."

"Nothing." Peggy dismisses, because what was she meant to say? That in their open relationship of a marriage, she had fallen in love with a russian spy while he was off fighting in the war? That she had spent 4 years looking for that russian spy and still hadn't struck a lead? That she wasn't sure whether what she felt for Steve was romantic love anymore? None of that was something you say to your husband.

"I know nothing and this is not it. Come on, Peggy."

"I fell out of love for you." She blurts calmly, and she blinks - expecting some sort of reaction from Steve, but all he does is smile.

"I know." He places a hand on her forearm. "I've known for three years now."

Peggy feels horrible about it, but she feels a sense of relief - and it's those kind eyes, that make her open up about the woman she has not spoken of in four years to anyone other than herself.

"I fell in love with someone else." She admits. "And she ran away, four years ago, I don't know why, I don't know where and I can't find any answers. Her name's Dottie, Dottie Underwood-"

"Kalina Rachckova?!" Bucky interrupts with wide eyes, slightly filled with amazement. He's standing by the door frame, with his arms crossed. "You knew Kalina Rachckova?! You're the dame she fell in love with?"

"Excuse me?" Peggy says, looking past Steve. The heavy tension in the air has been erased completely when he disrupted their moment, and perhaps she should be a little more irritated, but all she is as of now, is curious.