0.7 » hear me out

The moment Kaity stepped into her apartment, she knew something was wrong. For one, the door she had locked that morning was now jiggled open. She was certain that she had pressed the lock in as she was leaving.

Kaity's breath became shallow as she pressed forward into her living room. Everything seemed to be in its rightful place – not a thing askew.

Despite that, Kaity dug in her bag for her pepper spray. Her mother had gifted her the small can the day she moved out. And she had kept it ever since, even though she lived in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Kaity pressed forward, pepper spray in hand. A small noise radiated from her bathroom that sounded like a can dropping. "Hello?" She called, even though she thought it was a stupid idea. It was as if she was calling out to the killer 'come and get me!'

When there was no answer, Kaity found herself moving towards the small door down the hall. She vaguely wondered if she should call Neely, Michael or Dillon. Maybe even Luke. If he could save her life in the water, he could save her life now.

But she ended up not calling anyone. The light was on in her bathroom, another noise radiating from behind the cracked open door. Kaity quietly pushed open the door, not sure what she was going to find beyond it.

Kaity rolled her eyes once she realized what was going on.

"What the hell, Michael?" She said, her arm dropping to her side, hoping to hide the pepper spray from his view. "Since when did you think it's perfectly fine to break into my apartment? You may be my best friend, but this is pushing it."

The boy was sitting on her closed toilet lid, mixing a bottle of hair dye in a small dish.

"Since you never answer my texts or calls anymore," he returned, smirking but continued to mix the dye together. "If you would have read my messages, you would have known that I was coming over and you wouldn't be so freaked out right now."

Kaity rolled her eyes and tucked the pepper spray into her back pocket, out of sight, out of mind.

"What color are you even dying your hair now?" She asked. "And you better not get it on my rug."

Michael had a bad habit of getting the chemicals and dye everywhere when he decided to change the color of his hair. Kaity was still trying to get the stains out of her rug from the last time he decided to dye his hair. Right now, it was currently bright red, but that was soon to change.

"Oh, stop," Michael rolled his eyes and set the brush and dish down. "Besides, this dye isn't for me. It's for you," he grinned, his bright green eyes catching hers.

Kaity raised an eyebrow at him. "You are not dying all of my hair. You may pull it off, but I definitely won't be able to," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. "Did Neely put you up to this?"

Michael had tried many times to get Kaity to dye her hair, but every time she refused. She knew she couldn't pull off colored hair, but Michael insisted that she break out of her comfort zone and try something new.