3.9 » on his own

Luke's muscles were sore. He didn't realize how tough three consecutive days of competitive surfing was going to be on his body, but he was finally on the home stretch. Sure, he knew it was going to take a toll on him, but he didn't imagine he'd feel anything like this.

"Lower," Luke mumbled into his pillow.

He tried to focus on the feeling of Kaity's knuckles digging into his tender muscles and not the pain that was stuck on being stubborn and not leaving his body. Kaity sat perched on his butt as Luke laid on his stomach, letting his girlfriend massage his back.

"We have ten minutes before we have to be back out at the beach," she informed, pressing her fingers hard into Luke's lower back. Luke only hummed, wanting to stay submersed in the moment. "You don't want to miss this heat, Luke. It's going to get you into the finals."

Luke blinked his eyes open, brushing some of his hair out of his vision. "I know, I know. You're just too good at this," he smiled, but felt Kaity slip off to the bed beside him. He shifted backwards on his knees so he was sitting up now. "I love you," he said, leaning forward to peck her on the lips.

"I love you, too," Kaity replied, a smile pulling across her mouth. "But we really should get going. Ashton, Blake and your family are waiting for us."

Luke nodded and slid off the bed, pulling Kaity to her feet with him. Together, they both grabbed everything they needed and then headed out of the hotel room. It was a short walk to the beach where the competition was still in full swing.

The last heat was ending with just minutes left, surfers still desperately carving the waves in attempt to make it into the semi-finals. Thankfully, Luke had already secured his place in the semi-finals along side Ashton and (unfortunately) Shawn.

Kaity and Luke easily found their friends and family stationed at the water's edge playing fetch with Molly. Though, since she was older, she wasn't the fastest. "It's about time you got back here," Blake teased, greeting both of them with a hug.

"Yeah, yeah," Luke rolled his eyes. "I'm here now."

He pulled on his rash guard, the lime green of the fabric in stark contrast of the tan of his skin. "Ready to go kick some ass?" Ashton asked, clasping Luke on the shoulder.

Luke grinned, the smile spreading broad across his lips. "Of course," he said. He turned to Kaity, giving her a quick peck on the lips and then hugging all of his family. "I love you, bug," he whispered in her ear, gifting her with his last hug.

"Be safe out there," Kaity returned, burying her face in the crook of his neck. He smelled like salt water and the ocean breeze – the scent burned into her memory.

"Always," Luke promised, his lips resting against her forehead as he finally pulled away and followed Ashton to the check-in table. Kaity couldn't help but feel an uncomfortable feeling settle into the pit of her stomach.

She didn't know why she always got so nervous when Luke or Ashton took to the waves. They were practically experts, they could handle themselves. But nonetheless, she felt the worry prickle over her skin as she made her way to the water's edge, the cool salt water licking over her toes as she sat down next to Blake.

Molly sidled up beside her, licking a strip up Kaity's cheeks. She giggled, though she wasn't fond of dogs, she had a soft spot for Luke's childhood dog. She scratched the fur just behind her ear as she watched Luke talk to Ashton as they waited for their heat to start.

Shawn was standing a few surfers away, his torso painted in red. His eyes were cast out to the ocean, watching the waves crash and dissolve into nothing. His attention then snapped back to the beach when one of the officials started talking.