4.0 » the moment we've all been waiting for

song for the chapter: son, you are no island by torres

-

Luke could hear the blood rushing through his ears, the swirl of the ocean on his skin. The salt stung his eyes and lungs as he drifted with the current. But nothing compared to the crushing pain that throbbed in his head.

The pain stabbed through his forehead, and Luke surely knew that it had been cut open by Shawn's board when he dropped in on him. He also knew that the jet ski's were racing over the surface searching for him, but he didn't know which way was up.

He had lost all sense of direction when he plunged beneath the waves, the pain clouding his judgment. He blew out, watching the bubbles lead the way towards the surface. Luke followed through, struggling to get his limbs to cooperate.

But before he could get too far, he was jerked backwards, more oxygen escaping his lungs and floating towards the surface. Luke watched them jiggle towards the world above in envy. He tried to swim for the surface again, but like before, he was restrained.

And then he remembered his leash. Luke looked down to his feet as another wave crashed overhead, the sheer force of it making him sway in the water. Luke reached down, his fingers coming in contact with the Velcro that kept his leash tied to him.

He ripped it free, letting it float away from him. Luke pushed with his arms, feelings the effects of the oxygen deprivation wrecking havoc on his muscles.

He tried to go fast, to sate the sting in his lungs as they screamed for oxygen. He didn't know how long he had been under, but if he didn't get fresh air fast, he was going to pass out and then there would be no hope for him.

But Luke broke the surface, the world spinning around him as air filled his aching lungs. He heard the rev of a jet ski's engine, the sound intensifying as it came closer.

"Grab my hand!" The driver exclaimed, throwing his arm out for Luke to take. Luke reached out, his fingertips slipping against the man's hand, but he tried again and got a good grip.

The driver helped him onto the sled behind his jet ski and then they were racing over the water towards the shore. The water around Luke blurred as he tried to hang on. The pain in his head still thumped, the loud sound of the engine only making it worse.

He squeezed his eyes shut as he let his forehead rest against the sled. But in seconds, they were to the beach, voices swirling in his head, only causing the pain to intensify. Medics crowded around him, asking him multiple questions, but all he could focus on was the one voice that rose above the crowd.

He knew it was Kaity, that the tremble in her voice meant she was scared. He wanted to tell her he was okay, but he didn't even know if that was true. Everything was a blur, the medics shining a light in his eyes before carrying him off to the tent.

"What do you rate your pain, Luke?" One of the medics asked now that everything had calmed down and they were away from the bustle of the crowd.

Luke let the pain radiate through his head again before answering. It had seemed much worse before, but now it seemed to be subsiding now that it was quiet within the tent.

"A four," Luke answered truthfully. "How bad is it? Can I finish surfing?" He asked without missing a beat. He knew that his head was split open, but he wanted to know if he could compete in the final. He needed to win; he needed to beat Shawn.

The medic laughed. "That's always one of the first questions you guys have when you get hurt," he shook his head, messing with a few medical supplies on a table set up nearby.